Talk

Advanced search

PigletJohn - are you around?! Or any plumbing/dishwasher experts!

(17 Posts)
NorfolkingTime Wed 01-Feb-17 19:59:02

We've had a bit of a mishap trying to fix the dishwasher, and I'm desperately hoping for a solution. I think it's probably a lost cause now, but DP is so cross with himself, I feel quite bad.

So, we had a dishwasher given to us, which had had the aquastop pipe cut. We bought a replacement pipe which arrived today, but when DP tried to pull out the broken pipe from the machine, he's managed to snap the plastic part off that it was connected to further up into the dishwasher.

Is there any way we could repair that plastic bit that has snapped off? DP thinks that plastic bit is attached to the main tank thing and therefore would require the whole thing being removed to replace it.

Footle Wed 01-Feb-17 20:16:12

I'm not PJ but it's usually worth going to the espares website for advice and videos on things you might be able to fix yourself.

Villagernumber9 Wed 01-Feb-17 21:35:27

Is it possible to take a photo of the part and the back of the dishwasher?

NorfolkingTime Wed 01-Feb-17 21:52:07

I can take a photo tomorrow if that helps

Villagernumber9 Wed 01-Feb-17 23:11:54

Ok. If you can I'll take a look.

PigletJohn Thu 02-Feb-17 00:44:30

sorry I don't know. I presume it is a Bosch or Siemens family.

I will speculate that you might be able to disable the Aquastop and run it like a normal hose, but have never tried.

I would have thought a new hose would come with the right bits.

Good idea to look on espares and similar sites with repair vids.

NorfolkingTime Thu 02-Feb-17 05:04:56

Thank you Villager

Have had a look on espares but couldn't find the right thing. I suspect because we've broken a bit that shouldn't normally be messed with!

NorfolkingTime Thu 02-Feb-17 08:07:56

Villager I've taken a photo of the part, but I can't get round to the side of the dishwasher without DP moving it for me. Not sure if the part alone is any help? I've photographed the new part, but the old part was exactly the same except the box at the end had been cut off.

The thin pipe at the end of the part pictured is the bit that connects just inside the matrix, but when DP tried to disconnect the old pipe, the plastic part it was attached to snapped and came off with it (rather than pipe sliding off plastic piece IYSWIM?)

Villagernumber9 Thu 02-Feb-17 12:56:35

It looks like your DP has broken the 10mm nozzle. You might be able to get the part but you will have to remove the back of the washer to fit it.
It is pressurised so you can't fix it with superglue.
Let me know the make and model and I'll try and have a look for you and send you the link.

NorfolkingTime Thu 02-Feb-17 13:13:14

Is removing the back of the washer something he will be able to do?

It's a Bosch SMS50E02UK/01. Thank you!

Villagernumber9 Thu 02-Feb-17 19:02:08

It looks like you have to replace the whole water inlet unit. They cost about £60.
It is fairly easy to remove the back of the dishwasher, your DP just needs to remember which screw he has taken out of where.
Try partshub.co.uk. for the part and good luck.

NorfolkingTime Thu 02-Feb-17 19:10:09

Villager that's really helpful, thank you. He's had another look this evening, and he thinks there may also be water in the electrics sad I think this dishwasher may be beyond saving sadly.

It has been sat in a relative's garage for a long while, which perhaps wasn't good for it.

Villagernumber9 Thu 02-Feb-17 20:19:20

R.I.P dishwasher?

PigletJohn Fri 03-Feb-17 00:17:33

Villagernumber9

Is it possible to bypass the aquastop and use it like a plain hose?

PigletJohn Fri 03-Feb-17 00:21:47

just to add

because they are so heavy, second-hand dwrs can be very cheap, if you have a hatchback and are burly enough to hump it around. Otherwise owners have to carry them to the tip, or pay for them to be taken away.

When going through a tough patch, I got one off ebay for £20 when the owners were refitting their kitchen. I could probably have talked them down to a tenner. It was modern and worked fine.

When I installed it, I gave away my old one on freegle.

NorfolkingTime Fri 03-Feb-17 06:52:28

PJ we have a Landrover and willingness to lug a dishwasher around! Would be great if we could get another for cheap, there's no way we can afford new any time soon.

Is it worth trying to flog our broken one for parts?

PigletJohn Fri 03-Feb-17 12:31:24

you could try....

www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Dishwashers/116023/i.html?_from=R40&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=&_udhi=21&_nkw=bosch+dishwasher

sort by distance from your postcode

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now