Talk

Advanced search

Too many tiles?

(9 Posts)
Fragola76 Tue 31-Jan-17 23:36:20

We are doing up both our front garden and entrance hall (Victorian terrace). I would like to tile the path leading up to the door as well as the reception hall. I was wondering if it was the done thing or too many tiles? Also wondering if I do that, is there supposed to be consistency between the tiles?

I've tried googling pictures but i always get either garden paths or entrance halls but never both! Any thoughts?

Thanks for helping!

Villagernumber9 Wed 01-Feb-17 10:29:20

One reason why you can't Google photos of tiled garden paths is because no-one does it. Very hard to do and they won't last.
Yorkshire paving is best, but, you would need to fasten them down set in concrete or some scumbag will have them.

HiDBandSIL Wed 01-Feb-17 14:25:20

Here's some inspiration:

www.londonmosaic.com/
www.originalstyle.com/

I love Victorian tiled paths and am just about to reinstate mine (buying tiles from originalstyle.com). I think it would look great to do both areas.

Kiroro Wed 01-Feb-17 15:00:17

One reason why you can't Google photos of tiled garden paths is because no-one does it. Very hard to do and they won't last.

That is just not true. It is very common to restore or replace old Victorian tile garden paths.

OP I think it would be lovely to do both hall and path. Would you do the same pattern or different pattern?

minipie Wed 01-Feb-17 15:08:34

Hundreds of Victorian tiled paths near me, some are in bad nick but that's after 120+ years of use! Many refurbished or replica tiled paths which are in good nick. And yes they have tiled hallways as well.

We ourselves have a tiled hallway (original) and tiled path (replica). I think originally it would have been coloured tile pattern in the hallway and black and white diamonds for the front garden. Other houses near me have coloured tiles in the hall and then a slightly different coloured pattern for the path (both original).

Fragola76 Wed 01-Feb-17 21:26:55

Hi all
Thanks for replying!
HiDBandSIL-i have actually been in touch with London Mosaic! Really quick reply and more affordable than i feared. They also sheet the tiles as well so that any tiler can do the job (if not, it's like a jigsaw!)

Hi Kiroro-I have no idea what to go for! For the outside path we'll reproduce the original design (we still have a few tiles and our neighbour has the whole path) but i can't decide what we should do on the inside. If it's best to go for completely different style or maybe stay in a similar colour scheme. Decisions, decisions!

minipie-I really envy your original tiled hallway! Maybe a slightly different colour pattern is the way forward, not wildly different

There are some really beautiful tiles out there, not an easy choice!

Lesley1980 Wed 01-Feb-17 21:42:32

www.welbyandwright.com/welbyandwright-gallery.html

This is a company near me that has a few examples in their gallery. I think they might have more pictures on their Facebook.

Fragola76 Wed 01-Feb-17 22:01:47

hooo brilliant, thank you!

Looks like Lesley was spot on, not exactly the same tiles but same vibe

SmellTheGlove Fri 03-Feb-17 19:35:57

I have nothing useful to add except that I am so, so jealous! I have a Victorian house but the pathway is shared with the neighbour as our front doors are at the side IYSWIM. But I would definitely tile it if I could and always stare longingly at the neighbouring houses that have restored theirs. One house nearby was beautifully restored recently and the guy doing the work was painstaking, it was lovely to see it being done actually!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now