Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help - need practical advice on decorating

(3 Posts)
dodgydonkeysdoodah Tue 31-Jan-17 23:08:31

I have a bit of redecoration to do - a total DIY novice but need to save some £££s. I have bought paint but have no idea how to "prep" ready for painting. Can anyone advise?
The emulsion on walls and ceiling I can handle, but the woodwork I am not so sure.
Room 1 - bathroom - a lot of white eggshell painted woodwork which merely needs a freshen up with more white eggshell - it was only done 3 or 4 years ago so one coat will probably do it.
Room 2- bedroom. I want to paint over white gloss woodwork with an off-white eggshell. It's not in terrible condition but it is quite old (10 years) and probably dirty.
All the paints I have bought are water based. I have no idea where to begin! Please help!

Villagernumber9 Tue 31-Jan-17 23:23:00

Best way to paint wood is to remove any loose flakes of paint, sand it down with a medium rough sandpaper, wipe down with white spirits, use an undercoat then, when dry, put in the top coat.

Lovelybangers Tue 31-Jan-17 23:27:40

I would clean it first - a decent wipe with hot soapy water. Then a light sanding - wash again to get the dust off then paint.

I have done a lot of painting of woodwork in the past few weeks.. It's quite satisfying and not as messy as emulsion painting. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now