Talk

Advanced search

Looking to move to Orford Warrington. . .

(12 Posts)
Mrsnjg Tue 31-Jan-17 12:12:59

We currently live in Manchester but are looking at moving to Orford Warrington. We have put an offer on a house which has been accepted but its not to late to pull out. I just want to make sure we are doing the right thing as we don't know the area very well. My husbands new job is in warrington and my family is in Liverpool hence the move. Any information or thoughts and views on the area would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

LaLaLouise Tue 31-Jan-17 12:17:59

What made you choose Orford?

Mrsnjg Tue 31-Jan-17 12:29:16

The house was a good price, its a 4 bed and huge and thats what we were looking for. We have looked in Birchwood but there isn't much available unless you have over 300k which we don't. Do you know Orford? The house is quite near Winwick road.

LaLaLouise Tue 31-Jan-17 12:49:57

Orford is quite a deprived area and has a rather rough reputation BUT it has had a lot of investment recently. If you have £300k and want a 4 bed then I personally would look to the south and west of Warrington. Have you looked at Great Sankey or Chapelford?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57006220.html

Chapelford Village

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-63862490.html#_map-view

Mrsnjg Tue 31-Jan-17 13:01:44

Sorry I meant we don't have anything near 300k. Our budget is 200k max as I am not returning to work post mat leave. Do you live in Warrington? I wonder with all the new shops on Winwick road if the area will be more up and coming? We live not far from Didsbury now but I have struggled to fit in as I feel I am looked down on quite badly here. My son is only 9 months so I am wondering what Warrington is like for children? If there are many play places and nurseries? When you say rough what do you mean? Sorry if I sound stupid!

LaLaLouise Tue 31-Jan-17 13:36:01

You don't sound stupid, working out where to live can be tricky! I don't live in Warrington but quite a few of my family members do. There are lots of nurseries, soft play places and parks not too far away. How long do you intend to live in the house? Have you checked out local schools?

When I said rough I guess I meant that it has a history of manual workers and low wages. The factories have gone and so have many of the jobs and the area has had problems with long term unemployment and all the social issues that brings. A lot also depends on what kind of environment you like - Its very close to the centre of Warrington, near some major roads and quite grey - but it is very handy for IKEA smile

If I were you I would visit the area, walk around, go to a cafe, see if there is a toddler group you could go to as a taster and talk to people. If you don't feel at home in Didsbury you might find the people of Orford are a breath of fresh air. X

Kannet Tue 31-Jan-17 13:41:43

I would look at great sankey or penketh. You will get a nice house for less than 200k. Much better schools and it's nice.

Itscurtainsforyou Tue 31-Jan-17 13:52:03

I agree that orford has had quite a bit of investment recently, but whenever I hear the name I'm reminded of a colleagues comment about "awful orford".

I agree with a pp, go and have a wander around the area for the day to get a feel for it.

Sirzy Tue 31-Jan-17 13:55:11

Orford does vary a lot from one end to the other to.

There again my friend lives in one of the "rough" areas and it's a very friendly place and I always feel safe.

If you are up by winwick road then it's handy for the town centre and motorways but it does clog up very easily along there.

Mrsnjg Tue 31-Jan-17 14:30:45

Thank you everyone. We had a good drive around the other day and it seemed fine. Although I guess it could be different at another time of the day. Our area is nice where we are at the moment but there was a break in on the house next door at the weekend and its shook me up! I used to work just off Winwick so I know the traffic is crap at rush hour but that won't effect me and my husband will miss it with his hours.

Sirzy where does your friend live? Do you know there street name?

All the primary schools in the area have at least a 'good' report. The outstanding schools are all religious schools though and I won't be getting my son christened. . . . .

We are looking to live there until our son is going into secondary school and hopefully then we can afford a bigger house in a different area.

Millimat Fri 03-Feb-17 22:40:54

My friend had her son at a nursery in Orford and was really impressed with it. The sports complex there is great.

Mrsnjg Fri 03-Feb-17 22:53:35

We drove around a few times and saw a few too many police cars parked up outside houses so we have decided to look elsewhere and found a lovely house in gorse covert in birchwood. Thank you everyone for your advice. It was all appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now