Talk

Advanced search

Is it worrying if they don't change the 'For Sale' sign to 'Sold'?

(11 Posts)
MaryPoppinsPenguins Tue 31-Jan-17 11:40:23

We made an offer on a house a few weeks ago which was accepted... also accepted one on ours and our board was changed that day! I've just driven past the house we're buying and it still says 'for sale'

Is this something to worry about?

minipie Tue 31-Jan-17 11:47:29

I think what it says on the agent's website and Rightmove etc is much more important - does it say under offer on those? Also if you are worried you could try calling the agent - pretend to be a buyer, ask about the house and see if they say it's under offer and you can't see it.

I wouldn't be too worried about boards, some seem to stay unchanged for months near me... The main thing is what message the agent gives out online/on the phone.

Tootsiepops Tue 31-Jan-17 11:47:35

It's 'under offer' rather than 'sold'.

Our EA wouldn't change anything until our buyers had formalised their offer, and they had verification that they had the correct finances in place to proceed. Iirc, that took a few weeks.

MWM Tue 31-Jan-17 11:49:08

Some agents are a bit shit at signs. As long as rightmove etc is updated it's usually not a problem.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Tue 31-Jan-17 11:57:01

We've paid the solicitor, had our mortgage offer, paid for the survey.. so I would've thought they considered us serious buyers.

It says under offer online... I might give them a call?

Blastandtroph Tue 31-Jan-17 12:17:15

Signage for agents is often out-sourced, causing delays or possible lack of communication. Maybe chase up the agent.

Whatdoiknow31 Tue 31-Jan-17 12:57:56

Don't think Rightmove can be relied on, as it is only as good as the agents adding/updating/removing properties.

Friend sold his house before Christmas, new people actually moved in etc and it's still showing as 'under offer' on Rightmove - not even Sold!

Best to give the agent a call to put your mind at rest.

MiaowTheCat Tue 31-Jan-17 13:11:15

I rang the estate agent to double check it when rightmove etc wasn't updated fairly quickly when we were buying this place. It was purely that the person who sorted out the listings and changing the signs had been off sick that week so they were running a bit behind schedule.

They were fine with me ringing up to check what was going on.

DeepfriedPizza Tue 31-Jan-17 13:12:46

My house still had a for sale sign outside the day I moved in. In fact,it's in my back garden 3 years later

anotherdayanothersquabble Tue 31-Jan-17 13:27:27

Ours only changed to 'Sold' the day we moved and the estate agents asked if they could change the sign and if we would leave the board up for a week.

rallytog1 Wed 01-Feb-17 11:07:21

The sign on ours only changed to sold on the day we completed and promptly took it down

Important thing was that it was off rightmove.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now