Talk

Advanced search

Would you extend this house, and if so how

(39 Posts)
RaisinsAndApple Tue 31-Jan-17 08:04:02

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-63361763.html

Right, I don't want to go and view this house, and risk falling in love with the views and garden if the house cannot be made suitable.

Need 5 beds, this currently has 3. Looking at permitted development I think you could do a 3m 2 storey extension at the back to bring the kitchen wall out level with the living room back wall.

I think I'd remove the pointless chimney breast taking up space in the middle of the house so then the upstairs could probably be re-jogged to fit 4 beds.

Don't know the height of the attic, but it it was high enough maybe could fit another bed up there. I think more likely that a former would have to be added, which would affect the view from the front and so stray into needing planning permission.

Max I could spend would be £50k. Am I crazy to think this could be done for that - or that it could be done at all? I would be happy to leave 5th bedroom for a later date, if it could get 4 beds into extended upstairs, but I have a vague feeling that planning permission is less likely to be granted when a house has already been extended (?)

What would you do - should I give this one up and just look for an existing 4 bed with loft conversion potential? They are available in my price bracket, but not with the amazing views and huge garden.

RaisinsAndApple Tue 31-Jan-17 08:05:07

Oops, meant to add photos in case any problem following the link

RaisinsAndApple Tue 31-Jan-17 08:07:11

Urg, "re-jigged" and "dormer" obv

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Tue 31-Jan-17 08:10:27

Looks lovely. I'm sure you could level it off at the back to make more space.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Tue 31-Jan-17 08:14:04

Most builder's charge between £1,200 - £1,500 per sqm of extension.

That will get you to a plasterered shell.

You then need:

Costs for buying and fitting kitchen/toilets
Painting and decorating
Flooring
10% contingency
Architect fees
Building control fees
Structural engineer's report as you'll need an rsj for any loft conversion and for he kitchen extension.
Cost of removing chimney breast and making good (plus is it actually holding the house up if it's central? You might need a further structural engineers report)

Sorry - I don't think you'll be able to do it for the budget.

NapQueen Tue 31-Jan-17 08:14:13

www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/57801376

And leave you with just cosmetic works?

Thecontentedcat Tue 31-Jan-17 08:17:03

It says it has already been extended so you may be restricted in what you can do. I think permitted development only applies to the original unextended part of the house. But I am not an expert and not 100% sure.

Downstairspoo Tue 31-Jan-17 08:19:40

Yes you need to take into account the amount already extended by for the permitted development

I'm no expert but I'd be amazed if you could do a two storey extension of that size for £50k

RaisinsAndApple Tue 31-Jan-17 08:32:30

Sigh, oh well. Thanks for link - I don't want to live in Tilehurst smile

I assume that the extension was the single storey but at the back of the living room, and PD is 3m back from original footprint for 2 storey, so bringing kitchen back level with with living room would be within that.

Ah, just worked out meterage figures - based on £1,500 it would be £47k for the shell. There's my answer - no viewing for me unless I could work out extra money somehow or if they might accept a lower offer - but since it's just been reduced right now that is doubtful.

NapQueen Tue 31-Jan-17 09:12:10

Keep an eye on it. If it's just been reduced and they don't get any offers within 6 to 8 weeks go in with a cheeky one.

NapQueen Tue 31-Jan-17 09:12:31

Can you use the back family room as the master bedroom?

SoupDragon Tue 31-Jan-17 09:16:45

I would extend it by knocking the garage down and building a 2 storey extension in its place. This is,of course, likely to be over budget and I don't,now what th suit of a planning application would be. That's what has been done to my house (although it's a master bedroom plus ensuite rather than two bedrooms, my childhood family home had two bedrooms done in a similar extension)

namechangedtoday15 Tue 31-Jan-17 09:24:36

Just a couple of things. The figure quoted above of £1200 - £1500 per sqm is without VAT, so you need to add another 20% (so approx £10k) to your figure. We have a similar house, have just done a 2 storey extension to add one bedroom and ours was massively more than the figure you've been quoted (although an expensive area).

CakeThat Tue 31-Jan-17 09:45:57

That's a lovely house and could be amazing if modernised in a sympathetic way. By extending at the back the layout upstairs might become a bit strange- how would you make extra landing space to access the new back bedroom? Also where would you put stairs to a loft conversion? With a large family you would probably need more bathrooms also. I think the side extension idea is probably the best for the house but not sure if there is space for this - the garage is quite skinny. It's such a nice house though i can see why you're tempted.

AddToBasket Tue 31-Jan-17 09:47:51

I don't think £50k will do it, sorry.

whatsthecomingoverthehill Tue 31-Jan-17 10:07:12

I can't see it unfortunately. It is quite hemmed in on either side so I don't think a side extension would be possible.

Going out the back would give you more space, but would 3m be enough? The roof as it is is not very amenable to a loft conversion, so I think you'd end up with a completely new roof, probably putting gables in rather than the hipped ends that there are currently. And if you're not careful you might end up with a fairly dark middle of the house. (Oh and 50k would be nowhere near, sorry).

RaisinsAndApple Tue 31-Jan-17 10:15:50

Yes sad I will have to leave it. If it languishes unsold then maybe, but it would have to be a super cheeky offer. I think £85k is a more realistic figure for 2 storey to bring it up to 4 bed without touching chimney breasts. Then would have to do the 5th at a later date - which would work as I don't need it until kids are a bit older, probably 5-8years realistically until that became a sticking point.

But is it hard to get planning permission to extend for a 3rd time? Or if it was extended at the side in such a way as to leave the loft ready for an easy conversion, would that work? Thinking generally, not necessarily just this house.

In general is it actually better value to get a house that is extendible and do it yourself, or just get one that already has the number of beds you need? I thought the former but am thinking now maybe it's not.

RaisinsAndApple Tue 31-Jan-17 10:17:05

Yes, I did think middle of upstairs might be dark as windows are v small. Sigh. I think I need to move on.

namechangedtoday15 Tue 31-Jan-17 10:31:52

I think there are no hard and fast rules about whether you'd get planning permission if its already been extended - the only thing I would say is that if you look at the street view, there are lots of different styles of houses (which is good - means you don't have to conform) but I can't see that many of them have been extended to the side. You need to go on the local authority's planning website and look at planning applications for that particular road - see if there are any that have been refused and whether there are any with double storey side extensions that have been granted permission.

I think to answer your other question - again it depends. Where we are with a 3 bed house similar to this, it worked out financially better for us to do the works and extend ourselves, than to buy a house that had already been extended - i.e. the jump from a 3 bed semi to an extended 4 bed semi was about £200k and we could do the works for about half that. Having said that, at some points during the build (it took about 7 months) I'd gladly have paid the difference for a clean and dust free house wink! Its hard living through a build like that (with 3 children) but financially it has paid off and we planned the works so we got exactly what we wanted layout / style wise.

RaisinsAndApple Tue 31-Jan-17 10:39:01

Thanks - useful advice! If it's still around in a couple of months I'll check planning apps at council before considering a mega cheeky offer if it looks hopeful.

user1471549018 Tue 31-Jan-17 12:11:38

If the house is otherwise perfect I'd go for it (those views!) Do it in stages. Start by using the dining room as a bedroom (if you need 4 bedrooms right now). Use the 50k to do just a ground floor extension but ensure foundations are suitable to go up another storey in the future if you want. Then in 5-8 years time do the loft +/- first floor extension smile

Kiroro Tue 31-Jan-17 14:00:21

That is an EASY question. Do a loft extension! Could get 2 bedrooms and a small shower room up there with a big back dormer. Not 100% it would be under £50k so go in with a lower offer maybe?

Kiroro Tue 31-Jan-17 14:03:07

Also would knock thru the kitchen into the living room, and use the dining room as the separate lounge.

lucysnowe Tue 31-Jan-17 14:08:59

I'd go for it OP. I know the area and it's very unlikely you'll be able to get anywhere nearby with five bedrooms for less than 750 K sad except as you say if you want to live in Tilehurst, which is a bit different from Caversham Heights!

RaisinsAndApple Tue 31-Jan-17 14:33:15

Yes, location location and all that...
I could get 4/5 beds over in Emmer Green. I like the location of this one because of the views and proximity to the countryside. Also my kids love Albert Road Rec.
I wondered about a loft. But it wouldn't be simple - you'd have to widen the roof to even fit in a dormer at the back, so that would mean planning permission, and I'm not sure if you'd get planning for a loft in Cav Heights. I might phone RBC planning and see if they can tell me anything. I might go along and have a look to see how it feels size wise - I don't think you can really gauge from pics online.
Will have to harden my heart and engage my cold hard head though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now