Talk

Advanced search

Removal costs?

(14 Posts)
Equimum Tue 31-Jan-17 07:55:45

We've not actually sold our house yet, but I'm just wondering if anyone can offer a ballpark figure for removal costs, based on their own experiences.

I know it's a bit of a 'piece of string' question, but we're moving about an hours drive away and taking the contents of an average two bed house (but we do have two kids, so all their clobber to include). I don't think we have any items out of the ordinary. We're in the SE, if that makes a difference.

Thank-you.

Ifailed Tue 31-Jan-17 07:56:41

will you ask them to pack for you (recommended) as well?

picklemepopcorn Tue 31-Jan-17 08:01:44

Ask a couple of companies to come around and cost it for you. People vary so much. Minimal, cluttered, six kids, no kids etc.

Equimum Tue 31-Jan-17 11:32:04

Thank-you. We probably would go for packing as well.

BlueChampagne Tue 31-Jan-17 14:14:38

Ask for some recommendations for companies and get quotes! Remember that is wasn't as much as I thought it might be (it was over 5 years ago), and the packers were a godsend!

shalalala Tue 31-Jan-17 14:28:49

We've had quotes of £950-1400 for a 3 bed (2 adults and 1 baby) and not loads of stuff. In the SE

sparechange Tue 31-Jan-17 14:33:02

We used a pack and move service about 3.5 years ago for about the same amount of stuff as you, to go 40 mins up the road in London.

From memory, it was about £1200
We didn't get the parking bay outside the new house suspended, so that saved a bit.

We used Ward Thomas, who were absolutely excellent. They sent us a spreadsheet list of furniture, and we just entered how many we had of each item listed (beds, sofas, chairs, wardrobes, books etc etc) and they gave us a quote based on how big a lorry they would need.

The only thing they would't take was the contents of the fridge and freezer (in case we got food poisoning from partially defrosted food)

On the morning of the move, they knocked on the door at 8am, we left with our freezer contents in a coolbox, and our washbags and essentials in another bag, and went to a cafe near the new house.

They packed everything, and got to the new house early afternoon, and we all sat around waiting for the call to say we had completed.
As soon as we got the keys, they were a machine.
All the furniture and boxes were in the right rooms within an hour, and they even put the clothes back in the right wardrobes!

As soon as we had unpacked everything else, we phoned them and they came back to collect the boxes and bubblewrap.

Best money we spent in the whole moving process. I'm never packing myself again!

BreezyThursday Tue 31-Jan-17 16:39:47

Two people in a three bed (although most of downstairs furniture built in) and we were looking at about £600 to move 20mins away.
We hired a van instead and got stuff into a friend's garage gradually - although it would have been lovely to have left it all to someone else to do.

May09Bump Tue 31-Jan-17 17:38:41

1700 for a 5 bedroom house - DO NOT USE LUXFORDS, they were awful. Every piece of furniture is dented and the box packing was a joke - 5 plates wrapped together, without inserts as an example. Pickfords / Crown removals quoted higher, but they were brilliant on previous moves - should have just paid the extra. Less stress.

Millimat Fri 03-Feb-17 22:43:06

We've been quoted £500-600 from two companies for a four bed house in the north west.

Lindorballs Sat 04-Feb-17 07:51:19

I moved last week and paid ~£1300 to move a 3 bed house with a toddler. Including packers. I think we have quite a lot of stuff. More than average. Our movers think we had around 50 boxes in total. This is the second time I've used packers. I'm never packing myself again! We also had a lower quote of just over £1000 but unfortunately couldn't get the cheaper company in the end. The packing was around 1/3 of the total quote.

Lindorballs Sat 04-Feb-17 07:51:45

I live in Bristol by the way so may be a little cheaper than SE

nougatsquirrel Sat 04-Feb-17 10:26:55

We used the websites where you put in your room numbers, number of boxes and items and they bid for your price. We also applied a £20 voucher for first time users against it. I think one of them is anyvan but we also used another. They were both the same. We had really good experiences with the people we used as they were rated. It cost us £250 to move a one bedroom from Nottingham to London (!) and £350 to move a 2 bedroom with loads of stuff (as DH and I had moved in together without decluttering ) from central London to Kent (Tonbridge area). I could try and dig up the contact details of the specific movers we used, though I think the bidding process on the website actually makes their prices lower. Not sure if its what you want if you require packing etc.

southwest1 Sat 04-Feb-17 14:51:04

I paid £400 for the packing service and £1800 to move from SE London to Liverpool. Just me in a two bed house but I had about 100 boxes of stuff! The packers were amazing, I'd have paid double!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now