Talk

Advanced search

Letter drop to find a house to buy?

(15 Posts)
Leatherboundanddown Mon 30-Jan-17 10:33:00

Have you ever posted notes through doors when you were looking to buy a property? I am a ftb and trying to get my first place but the market where I am is moving so fast right now I feel like I don't stand a chance as things are selling within days.

I was wondering whether to print a load of notes out saying something like 'if you are thinking of selling your house please send me an email I am looking for a house in this area and am ready to proceed' or something along those lines. I remember my Mum finding a house like this back in the 90s and got a good price on it.

Just wondering if there is even any point spending time doing this soon.

WaterBelle Mon 30-Jan-17 10:37:27

I very nearly did this. We were desperate too and loved a particular area but kept missing the boat. When a house came up for sale there, we had either just renewed our rental contract or had our money tired up in something. We were really and waiting then for about a year with no movement. I thought about dropping a letter into a out 40 houses with a brief outline and an email address. I did t really want to give my name. But anyway, in the end we didn't. I thought that if anyone wanted to sell, they would be more inclined to use an agent and get a market price, than sell to us random people.
But then again, why not? If you've nothing to lose, and maybe mention what houses go for, in the area. If they have no idea of local prices, letting them know the value might whet their appetites.

TroubleinDaFamily Mon 30-Jan-17 10:40:30

My MIL got her house this way, she had always loved this particular house and dropped a note in the door, the vendors were downsizing and were delighted that the house was going to someone who loved it as much as they did. They paid market rate, but the vendor left carpets, curtain, white goods etc.,

It was a very nice house.

SirChenjin Mon 30-Jan-17 10:42:51

I would welcome this letter - we're toying with the idea of moving but the whole thing is such a faff that we cba. If someone put this letter through my door it would definitely kick our butts into gear. Go for it!

PlumsGalore Mon 30-Jan-17 10:43:19

My parents have had a note through the door before, but they weren't and still aren't interested in moving. Their house was a typical three bed semi in a good area but the best plot on the street with a really big garden and lots of room to extend if need be. None of their immediate neighbours got letters, so their house was picked for its spot.

I would do it.

TeaCakeLiterature Mon 30-Jan-17 10:45:29

Someone we know did this and got a house by doing it!

We know where we'd like to move to in future so we've discussed doing this when the time is right

AuntiePenguin Mon 30-Jan-17 10:45:58

It's worth a try. My parents live somewhere very desirable, and get at least one letter a week saying that.

It's best if you can stand out in some way - i.e. Make clear you have no chain, you already have the deposit and mortgage approval, you are happy to be flexible and move on their timetable etc. All of those things will make you more attractive as a buyer.

My parents have also had notes including photos/descriptions of the family that want to buy and how they'd be an asset to the neighbourhood, quiet, responsible neighbours etc which I suppose might help if somebody was selling but staying nearby.

Rumdoodler1 Mon 30-Jan-17 10:47:22

Our current neighbours did exactly this. Our old neighbours were happy because they saved the agents fees and current neighbours were chuffed because they got a house in an area that they really liked where anything coming on the market tended to get snapped up.

pilotswife Mon 30-Jan-17 10:51:27

Two of my friends birthday gut their houses this way - both fell in love with a particular house and hand wrote a letter to the owner. It worked and they are both still there 20 yrs later.
We have a unique house and regularly get letters asking if we want to sell / rent it out for a holiday let / wedding etc ! So far not tempted ! You've got nothing to loose really.

BackforGood Mon 30-Jan-17 11:10:06

Same as SirChenJin - we want to move but the thought of getting the whole place spick and span for photos then viewing etc is a bit overwhelming - I'd love to know there was someone out there really keen to buy my house.

FunSpunge Mon 30-Jan-17 11:37:23

I would love to do this but so difficult where we want to move to as it's very rural and pricing on each house is very different. Knowing my luck I would post a leaflet through a house worth around £700k which is waaaaay out of budget. Sometimes they may not look so much but round here have loads of land so cost a fortune!

BreezyThursday Mon 30-Jan-17 11:42:25

What's the harm? Particularly if you are chain-free and ready to go and interested in an area rather than specific house. You never know when a 'for sale' sign might be about to go up!

Leatherboundanddown Mon 30-Jan-17 12:09:52

Thank you everyone! I am going to do it I think. It really is a first rung of the ladder for me I'm looking at 2 bed terraced houses in a not particularly great area but they are all still going for over asking price within about 4 days!

I will mention my flexibility and position and let you know if I have any responses.

I have two main areas I am looking at so probably about 20 different roads in total. I won't be singling out houses as such, but roads I'd be happy to live on.

SorrelForbes Mon 30-Jan-17 12:13:33

Our next door neighbour is selling to a family who posted a note through all our doors just before Christmas so it's definitely worth a shot!

SirChenjin Mon 30-Jan-17 15:46:19

Good luck Leatherboundanddown - fingers crossed for you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now