Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Small last minute moving costs

(10 Posts)
ClarkL Mon 30-Jan-17 09:31:14

4 months ago we put in an offer on a house, Person selling lives in an old peoples home. We're in rental, but it's still taken 4 months due to my crap solicitor.
I complained to a senior partner last week and suddenly we exchanged within 2 days and looking to complete this Thursday - YIPPEE!
I have been so busy nagging solicitors that I haven't even thought about all the last minute little costs until this weekend.

We have final bill for the solicitors
I have paid contents and house insurance (inflated first payment)
We are seeing a man tonight about life insurance
Electricity bill, final payment (no gas)
Paying to move phone line and broadband with current supplier (and keep number as business line)
No moving costs as we are moving in the same village, about 10 houses down so will be full on gypsy and walk the sofa/ bed etc down the street

So what might I be forgetting??

PurpleDaisies Mon 30-Jan-17 09:33:24

Have you bought boxes to pack into?

What's a "gypsy walk"?

Katymac Mon 30-Jan-17 09:37:19

Council tax? Water rates?
TV license?

not costs but remember to change your address for car tax if you pay by Direct debit, car reg documents, driving license, Dart Charge if you use the dartford crossing

ClarkL Mon 30-Jan-17 09:37:28

We have some boxes already but as its so close and relying on filling boxes, driving up the street unloading and repeat.

'Gypsy walk' Where I used to live was a pretty rough estate, regular occurrence to buy stuff from a cheap furniture store on the estate (or other households) and refuse to pay delivery/man and a van so you'd walk it with whatever friends people near by you could drag into helping. It was referred to as being a gypsy ie too tight to pay

PurpleDaisies Mon 30-Jan-17 09:42:46

It was referred to as being a gypsy ie too tight to pay

I think that might be a phrase better confined to history then.

Good luck with the move. It sounds like you've got pretty much everything sorted.

Katymac Mon 30-Jan-17 16:46:56

I've always assumed it was a reference to "carrying your home/belongings" with you the way that travellers do

specialsubject Mon 30-Jan-17 17:36:24

Postal redirect - too late to have it working from the move date but organise it now.

Also tell car insurers about move and the date. Take meter readings at both properties.

Not sure why your insurance are an inflated first payment - if you are paying monthly you are paying a big interest charge anyway. Can you pay annually?

ClarkL Mon 30-Jan-17 18:00:27

Katymac - that sounds like a far nicer way of explaining it than I understood, so lets go with yours and brush past it!!

Special - I am paying monthly but no interest added (thank you M+S) but they do an inflated first month payment then 10 months of payments after that.

Postal redirect is a good one I hadnt thought of...adds to my to do list!

thesnailandthewhale Mon 30-Jan-17 18:01:46

Takeaway on the night you move in smile

specialsubject Mon 30-Jan-17 19:24:32

Good deal!

Hope all goes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now