Talk

Advanced search

Outside doors

(15 Posts)
Kahli Sun 29-Jan-17 21:00:01

I think Ive probably been stupid by not knowing new access doors are controlled by building regulations.
We had two doors fitted just over two years ago.
One is our front door and its a branded composite door known as xtreme.
The other door is at the side of the house and is the kitchen door. This is a standard upvc door.
The tradesmen who fitted the doors didnt mention anything about needing building approval and it didnt occur to me (or himself) that it would be needed.
Now someone has told me we should have notified building control prior to getting the doors fitted and we should tell the council.
Question now is can the the Council make us remove the doors?

IAmAPaleontologist Sun 29-Jan-17 21:02:24

Really?

We had new doors a couple of years ago.

LowDudgeon Sun 29-Jan-17 21:02:27

Is your house listed or in a conservation area?

Kahli Sun 29-Jan-17 21:03:58

No we dont live in a conservation area and not listed either.

IAmAPaleontologist Sun 29-Jan-17 21:07:06

Just checked regulations, if they are similar appearance to the original, so not changing size and stuff then you don't need approval.

LowDudgeon Sun 29-Jan-17 21:10:53

I just tried to check but couldn't make head or tail of them so I'll take your word for it, Paleo smile

(But we also had new doors & windows 2 years ago & fitters never mentioned building regs)

engineersthumb Sun 29-Jan-17 21:11:32

By the book they are a controlled item so they should either be fitted by a member of a "competent person" scheme (FENSA) or the subject of a building notice so that building control could inspect. You can make an application for regularisation, building control would inspect and if satisfied provide a certificate. The cost is about 1.5 xxx the cost of a building notice so not too bad. I don't belive that building control could provide an enforcement notice if they have been in place 2 years but it may make it more difficult to sell the house. I'm not an expert so it's world that talking with your local building control dept as they are usually quite helpful.

LowDudgeon Sun 29-Jan-17 21:12:32

Oh ours was a FENSA company! So ok?

Kahli Sun 29-Jan-17 21:13:33

Thanks for looking. The front door isnt the same appearance though. It has some glass in it ..a lot less than 50%. The side door is similar but a different colour.
I know we didnt need planning consent but it seems external doors and windows are now controlled items under the building regulations.
I dont know how people are supposed to know that ..especially stupid people like me!

engineersthumb Sun 29-Jan-17 21:13:39

Building control is separate to planning permission so conservation areas shouldn't make any difference.

IAmAPaleontologist Sun 29-Jan-17 21:14:41

Fensa is the scheme that allows them to self certify building regs isn't it? So if you installed it yourself you'd need to get building regs but if a fensa registered person does it then they self certify it.

Kind of like you can do electrics yourself but then you need to have them checked by a registered tradesperson.

Kahli Sun 29-Jan-17 21:21:22

We bought the doors from a door and window supply showroom and the man we dealt with organised the fitting. it wasnt a FENSA company
I think the best thing is to phone the council next week and ask can it be approved retrospectively .
DH seems to think the FENSA arrangement only applies if glazed area greater than 50% of door. ...He is usually wrong though smile

Kahli Sun 29-Jan-17 21:26:29

Yep .... confirmed we have been silly ..

this is from FENSA web site:-

"Doors: Doors with less than 50% glazing are controlled under the Building Regulations but do not at present fall within the scope of the FENSA scheme."

wowfudge Mon 30-Jan-17 07:04:17

I really wouldn't worry. It's not likely to be an issue. Building control are highly unlikely to notice and take enforcement action against you. Are you thinking of selling?

engineersthumb Mon 30-Jan-17 09:00:30

To be honest you are unlikely to have issues if they replaced existing doors. If you have no damp and no howling gales I wouldn't worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now