Talk

Advanced search

shower in downstairs cloakroom?

(11 Posts)
ThisOneNoThatOne Sun 29-Jan-17 12:30:15

We're just starting to renovate our house. It will have four double bedrooms and a study/guestroom downstairs. Upstairs there's a family bathroom and an ensuite.

What I can't decide on is whether to put in a shower in our downstairs loo. There's space but I can't decide whether it's worth putting it in as it would save a bit of money not to and we could use that space for storage. We have 3 young children and occasionally have visiting relatives, so at the moment I don't feel we need it. But thinking forward to the teenage years would we need it then?!

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Mehfruittea Sun 29-Jan-17 12:34:58

Having same dilemma- can I hang out and see who comes along?

RandomMess Sun 29-Jan-17 13:05:02

I would say yes, unless you can have a separate loo and family bathroom upstairs instead?

Are the visiting relatives likely to get more infirm and unable to get upstairs?

You could do the pipework now and not install the downstairs shower until it's needed if the storage would be more useful now?

dudsville Sun 29-Jan-17 13:08:42

If you're going to stay in your house, and if you can afford it, then I would. Those kids are going to grow up. I presume the en suit is yours. You then have 3 kids and any guests using the family bathroom.

PigletJohn Sun 29-Jan-17 13:11:33

if it's big enough, yes.

As for storage, there is a view that there's no point in providing extra storage, because people just put stuff in it.

Bazookapie Sun 29-Jan-17 13:21:04

We did this as we had a large cloakroom and with 3 teenage girls it definitely proved useful!!

ThisOneNoThatOne Sun 29-Jan-17 13:32:21

Thanks very much everyone- you've helped me to decide that putting in the shower downstairs is the way to go.

And yes Pigletjohn, that's very true about storage. After clearing out this house ready for the works I've vowed never to buy so much 'stuff' again!

Skullduggeryfizz Sun 29-Jan-17 13:43:35

I had one put in, when we did our extension. It's been great for muddy dogs and also for muddy football/rugby playing children. Just straight in the back door and then in the shower. No mess up the stairs

7to25 Sun 29-Jan-17 13:47:14

Ditto here for the rugby/football mess

megletthesecond Sun 29-Jan-17 13:48:13

This is what I'd love to do. The downstairs loo is standard size but there's an old meter / bin cupboard to the side that I think could be knocked through and opened up.

EineKleine Sun 29-Jan-17 14:28:52

MN is weird, this thread is very positive but I've seen a lot of naysaying about them. We love ours, in fact I think it's one of the reasons we bought the house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now