Talk

Advanced search

Put in this offer on house or wait?

(16 Posts)
miggles33 Sun 29-Jan-17 10:34:32

I have seen a house I really like online, and have sent others in the street so know the area well and house sizes etc. But it is overpriced in my opinion. Should I wait until they hopefully drop the price or go see it and put in a low offer straight away. The house is £285 and I would want to pay £255. Is this a crazy low offer? I don't want to see it too soon and make them think people are interested at the price it's on at now. If I offended now I will likely get dismissed as a cheeky buyer so maybe I should wait.

MumOfTwoMasterOfNone Sun 29-Jan-17 10:37:05

Go and see it and tell the agent you feel it's overpriced and why.
You're one step ahead of other potential buyers if they drop the price, or you could put in the cheeky offer. My first offer was accepted on my house and I wish I'd gone in lower.

miggles33 Sun 29-Jan-17 10:38:11

Sorry for typos smile Is 30k under a really low offer do you think?

Bluntness100 Sun 29-Jan-17 10:38:23

Can you link the house? you need to look at what other properties sold for near it and then decide if it's a realistic offer or not.

I don't see how seeing it will make them think people are interested, because what you can't know is how many viewings they are already getting and if people are interested at this price. Someone could be offering now.

Sure you can wait it out, but there is a risk it goes if you do. Although I agree a low offer is less likely to be accepted if just on the market.

miggles33 Sun 29-Jan-17 10:43:00

I'm not sure how to link from rightmove as I'm on my phone sorry.

wobblywonderwoman Sun 29-Jan-17 10:43:54

I would go and see it and put in your offer and explain why you think their asking price is high.

Say you are not willing to go much higher and leave it.

Stylingwax Sun 29-Jan-17 10:44:47

Unless it's an 'offers over' I don't think it's ridiculously cheeky. I had a property on for 275 and someone offered 210. The estate agent rang me up and said he had to legally tell me the offer but he'd declined on my behalf. They then went up by 5s to 225 and each time he was like 😒

miggles33 Sun 29-Jan-17 10:45:43

I think I'll go see it. I just wasn't sure if I offered £255k now and they turn it down if they would look at the offer again later if it didn't sell. You can probably tell im a first time buyer and feel a bit clueless

miggles33 Sun 29-Jan-17 10:46:45

Stylingwax that sounds like the kind of thing I would do. Did they buy the house in the end?

MumOfTwoMasterOfNone Sun 29-Jan-17 11:08:55

I don't think it's a ridiculous offer by the way. It's only just over 10% under asking. If you want to pay £255k I'd maybe go in at £250k so you've got a little wiggle room? It's all a bit of a game in honesty.

A house is worth what someone is willing to pay at that given moment in time but have you properly researched the street/area?

miggles33 Sun 29-Jan-17 11:30:36

I think the price I'm looking to offer is about right for the street and area. I was very surprised how high it was on for. I've been looking for over 6months and know the area and have looked at sold prices. However it is a popular area so occasionally a house will sell for a lot more than seems reasonable. But I guess if that happens then we just won't get it. I just wasn't sure whether to wait it out a bit first.

Stylingwax Sun 29-Jan-17 12:52:01

Nope they didn't, they stopped at 225. It was a bit overpriced at 275 and we were after a quick sale so we priced and sold at 255.

bilbodog Sun 29-Jan-17 14:10:50

You havent seen the house yet. Go and view - houses can look very different in real life to how they come across on agents details. Some houses will have been done up to very different standards and some houses will have been looked after a lot better than others. These things can account for price differences on houses that are otherwise similar.

It could also be over priced in which case they may well have to accept a lower offer eventually.

If you want it make an offer and see what happens. If they wont accept keep watching and waiting and make sure the agent knows you are interested if the price comes down. Good luck.

purplecollar Sun 29-Jan-17 14:25:22

We have our house on the market. Someone offered £25 under asking price in the first few days. We've declined. We've got time so I'd rather wait and see it we can achieve nearer the asking price. It's a lot of money to throw away.

I'm pretty sure our house is priced fairly though.

PurpleDaisies Sun 29-Jan-17 14:29:16

I agree with others-go and see it then see if you still think it's overpriced.

I wouldn't wait for them to drop the price-you're better being in there before more people who can might be interested at a lower price get in the running as well.

Good luck!

TranquilityofSolitude Sun 29-Jan-17 14:41:09

I'd go and have a look and make your offer if you like it. They may be happy to take less from a first time buyer as you're not in a chain. It depends on how much of a hurry they're in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now