Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Small bedroom for children.

(14 Posts)
MadamMooMoo Sat 28-Jan-17 21:40:49

Could anyone please give me tips on how to make a small room work for a little girl? Need to fit in bed, wardrobe, chest of drawers and desk. Was hoping to buy a high up bed to make most of floor space.

roseteapot101 Sat 28-Jan-17 21:48:57

depends age if they are young a cabin bed maybe better they are high up but not to high up but have storage and sometimes desks

7SunshineSeven7 Sat 28-Jan-17 21:53:36

Could you use a cabin bed instead of a bunk bed? This could knock out the desk and drawers all in one. Something like this?

www.very.co.uk/kidspace-milo-mid-sleeper-kids-bed-frame-with-storage-steps/1188467912.prd

Then stick a wardrobe in the corner. If you need space for toys and things, mount storage on the wall instead it sitting on the floor.

7SunshineSeven7 Sat 28-Jan-17 21:55:06

Also I had a cabin bed when I was younger - like the one in the picture it had a desk that pulls out, this allowed you to crawl into the gap if you pulled it all the way out and sit behind the drawers/shelves. It was my private little reading nook smile

MadamMooMoo Sat 28-Jan-17 22:06:57

Definitely want a Cabin bed. Was trying to find one with a seat underneath that pulls out to make a second bed but would lose out on some storage that way.

RandomMess Sat 28-Jan-17 22:14:30

For how often a 2nd bed would get used I'd just use a blow up bed.

EineKleine Sat 28-Jan-17 22:19:46

I would scrap ideas of a second mattress. Prioritise storage space, and if she has guests put in a futon or something that's kept elsewhere. Use the walls - lots of shelves. Midsleepers tend to be better than the cabin beds that just have drawers under, for useable space. Maybe the sort of wardrobe that has shelves on one side and/or across the bottom.

I'm not convinced about desks with cabin beds. No one ever clears the desk to put it away. My kids' desks are just clutter gatherers, they actually do their homework and craft on the dining table. I guess this might change when they are older, but their desks are definitely the white elephants in their rooms. DD is crafty so I thought she'd use it loads, but it is just full of junk. I don't think she even sits at it really. She is 10 and has had it from age 6. ** disclaimer: other families may be much tidier than ours!

EineKleine Sat 28-Jan-17 22:20:47

sorry, wardrobe that has shelves on one side and/or drawers across the bottom

Muddlingalongalone Sat 28-Jan-17 22:21:43

Do you definitely need wardrobe & chest of drawers?
You could get one with shelves in?
Mid-sleeper definitely a good idea.

PickAChew Sat 28-Jan-17 22:29:14

How small is the small room? When we were looking at bed options for the boys' long but narrow bedroom, I noticed that a lot of cabin beds and high sleepers were a good 4' wide, so wider than the single bed options, and that's without sloped ladders.

PickAChew Sat 28-Jan-17 22:38:57

If there's room, the IKEA Nordli wardrobe is great for a small kid's room. It's only 72cm wide and has 2 deep drawers below the hanging space.

www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/wardrobes/free-standing-wardrobes/nordli-wardrobe-white-art-50257984/

If your girl isn't too little (ie not under 7-8), then the stuva loft beds go well with it (if you don't have low ceilings!). If she is still little, then the Flaxa range might work.

MadamMooMoo Sat 28-Jan-17 23:30:27

My DD is still a baby but we are trying to sort out the house more than anything to work out if the house is suitable long term or if we should just move on and the only option so far is to use a cabin bed and fit in storage. Could probably dump the wardrobe idea.

user1485656287 Sun 29-Jan-17 02:50:27

If your DD was older, I would suggest a type of bunk bed which has a small wardrobe and desk underneath it.
If I get the chance, I will see if I can find a picture of one.
If I remember correctly, I think it was in Argos.

beatricequimby Sun 29-Jan-17 17:12:50

My dd (8) has the tiny bedroom in our house. I think high sleepers and cabin beds make little rooms look like cupboards with a huge bit of furniture in them and tend to block the light

We decided that storage was less important than making the room a nice space. So dd has an IKEA bed with two drawers underneath that take all he clothes. A small storage unit at the end of the bed and some wall mounted shelves. I think wall mounted storage looks much better in little rooms.

She chose a photo mural for one wall and we framed pictures for the other wall. Her friends say her room is small but cool and she likes that it takes two seconds to hoover.

At some point we will get a custom made desk, probably a folding one but she won't need this til secondary school.

Another good option is a bed under the window. Try the Shorty Beds website. Or an IKEA extendable bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now