Talk

Advanced search

Moving back with parents

(11 Posts)
maryellie Sat 28-Jan-17 19:07:25

So me and partner have been renting for a while and really struggling to save at the same time to some day get a mortgage. Considering moving back with my parents for a year to save hard. They have two spare rooms so they said we can use one a living room. I'm worried this was ruin our relationship, has anyone else moved BACK home after leaving and how has it gone?

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Sat 28-Jan-17 19:31:28

I'd give it a go for sure.

scaredofthecity Sat 28-Jan-17 19:34:33

We did it with DS who was 1. Without a separate living room. It was hard and became very difficult towards the last few months but my mum is neurotic and there were 3 other siblings as well.
BUT we saved hard, grabbed

PidgeyfinderGeneral Sat 28-Jan-17 19:34:56

I moved back home for a two month period between rentals. It was a nightmare. I cannot imagine doing it with a DP too.

Sorry, I don't think it's a good idea, but I am sure it's worked out ok for some people somewhere.

scaredofthecity Sat 28-Jan-17 19:36:29

Dammit.... grabbed all the overtime we could and really watched the pennies and I think we saved about 15k in 9 months.
Am sitting in our new house now and was totally worth it but couldn't have done it without an end goal and time frame in mind.

scaredofthecity Sat 28-Jan-17 19:39:10

I Should add I am so grateful to my parents as I don't think we could have done it without them. If your parents don't mind and your relationship is strong enough then you haven't got too much to loose and a hell of a lot to gain. It will be hard but worth it I promise!

user1471471474 Sat 28-Jan-17 19:53:09

We did in December 2015 and are completing on our house next week grin so definitely worth it in our opinion. We managed to save just over £20k in a year (and also had 10k painstakingly saved over a number of years whilst renting). Also managed to go on a (low cost) holiday in that year and pay for big car repairs.

The year went very very quickly - if anything relationship has improved as we saw very little of each other before - but said parents are very laid back.

I'd give it a go - nothing to stop you moving back out again into rented if you really struggle.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Sat 28-Jan-17 19:53:37

In your living room to be, could you set up a mini kitchen, you can get mini hob and oven, a fridge, shame there isn't an en suite, then you'd only have to cross paths near the front door grin. That'll make a big difference having separate living rooms.

MWM Sat 28-Jan-17 19:56:46

A friend did it for a couple of years and is now doing up the house of her dreams.
I got the impression it took a while to settle and for everyone to find a new routine but apart from that there were no big problems.

Just think of the money you'll save!

maryellie Sat 28-Jan-17 23:06:12

Thank you so much everyone x

Highmaintenancefemalestuff Sun 29-Jan-17 10:31:25

It totally depends. Different situation but we live with my mum and it's a nightmare. Husband just moved in with us so we haven't lived without her. It puts a strain on my relationship with my mum and a strain on mine and Dh's relationship. We are moving in 2 weeks and it can not come quickly enough. I feel I will have a much better relationship with my mum when we don't live together. I struggle not to scream atm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now