Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Open fire in inglenook

(5 Posts)
hooliodancer Sat 28-Jan-17 17:57:59

We wanted to put a log burner in our inglenook, but now can't afford it! We have had to spend a lot so far uncovering the inglenook, repairing it, opening the chimney, scaffolding bla bla bla.

We are going to have an open fire instead. The question is- what do we need? A fire basket? What about an ash pan? We are planning to just burn logs.

I know it won't be as warm, but we literally don't have the money to get the woodburner. Thanks!

Whatdoiknow31 Sat 28-Jan-17 18:14:47

Think it depends on the height of the inglenook and draw of the chimney as you may need a hood and section of flue to channel the smoke. These old houses used to be a lot more drafty when they were built and had open fires in the inglenooks, which helped with the draw of the chimney.

We've just opened our inglenook up and had a wood burner installed. There was evidence of there being a hood at one point with the solid flue still in place up until the inspection plate in the room above where the chimney narrows.

gingerhousecat Thu 02-Feb-17 13:20:43

We have just literally done the same thing. I bought a fire basket and tried quite a few things in it before realising we are in a smokeless fuel area - we've had problems with smoke coming back in, sometimes literally but mostly in that the room smells like we've been having a bonfire party for about three days. Tried putting a couple of bricks underneath the basket to help with the draw but still not quite right.
I'm just used heat logs last night which seem to work well.
I bought an ash pan to put underneath. Planning to save for a future stove! x

mainlywingingit Thu 02-Feb-17 14:12:50

Stoves are overrated -
Nothing beats an open fire! We love ours -
Just need a very good quality grate and check the chimney is swept and safe.

We have a lovely curved glass guard so we can still see the fire

specialsubject Thu 02-Feb-17 14:20:11

It is under 20% efficient so a big up yours to the next generation. Make sure you can close off the chimney when not in use.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now