Talk

Advanced search

Moving house with packers. Tips?

(8 Posts)
MrsCK Sat 28-Jan-17 13:49:52

Moving house this week. Packers are coming to pack everything which is not a service we've used before. Any tips?

GrumpyOldBag Sat 28-Jan-17 13:51:49

Throw out as much rubbish as you can before they come. Because they don't sort, they just pack. And you don't really want to move your rubbish to your new house.

And watch the labelling on the boxes. E.g. It's a bad idea to label a box "Dining room silver" for obvious reasons ....

SweepTheHalls Sat 28-Jan-17 13:53:47

Agree that anything in a particular location is not to be packed, eg your bed, and put an overnight case there for each person. Pack up all really important docs, and jewellery and leave at a trusted friends house so you know exactly where they are. It is a wonderful thing!

MrsCK Sat 28-Jan-17 16:21:15

Great thank you!! We are just sorting through all our rubbish at the moment!!

wowfudge Sat 28-Jan-17 16:48:57

I had three boxes - cleaning stuff in one, drink making things in the secondary and tools, phones, chargers, etc. in another which they didn't touch. Box for bits for the new owners. As they pack a room, clean it and move the things you do not want packed into it. Keep your hoover away from th or they'll pack it. Empty bins or they'll pack them full of rubbish.

As they went into a new room I talked the head guy through what wasn't to be packed and where it was going at the other end so they could label it up accordingly.

Have a bin bag ready for damp towels or they'll use them to pad the things from the bathroom as they pack. I had to get ours emptied out 😉.

Twinklyfaerieglade Sat 28-Jan-17 16:52:53

If they are packing one day and unpacking, at new house the next, instruct your OH not to pay them after the first day. My XOH was stupid enough to do this when asked. Packing was fab, unpacking was throw it in and drive off. Wouldn't have done that if they hadn't already got paid angry

FedupNagging Sat 28-Jan-17 17:02:32

The first time we had packers we didn't think to remove ds's piggy bank - several weeks later we found all the money gone sad - made even worse by the fact the chap packing his room was so good with him.

Then several months later I finally got around to unpacking the 'best' dinner service to find myself short of 2, expensive, bowls. I was pregnant when we moved so was a bit slow unpacking!

Subsequent moves we made sure all valuables were packed and removed by us and unpacked as quickly as poss to check for missing items/breakages.

Good luck

Amelle Sat 28-Jan-17 23:58:40

1. Cull thoroughly before moving day
2. label where you want each box to go when you get to your destination (e.g.: front room/kitchen/bedroom 1)
3.pack things you'll need when you first get there plus important documents and keep them with you so you can easily access them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now