Talk

Advanced search

Above garage room freezing!

(17 Posts)
Greta84 Fri 27-Jan-17 18:24:42

We had a large extension done part of which was building over our garage. The bedroom over the garage is absolutely freezing I know it's the dick builders fault cheap insulation etc firstly what's the easiest way to warm it? Long term I know will need to lift floor & carpet prob insulate floor again & maybe even look at extra wall insulation

PinkSwimGoggles Fri 27-Jan-17 18:27:36

cheap and instant: rugs on the floor
what is above the room? so maybe adding some loft insulation?
how are the windows? are the window frames insulated?

yomellamoHelly Fri 27-Jan-17 18:28:55

Can you insulate the ceiling of the garage? Is what we did. The roll/ flexible stuff where possible and Celotex on the vertical bit.

Greta84 Fri 27-Jan-17 18:29:49

Window frames are new so they're fine. Yes loft above Its a new roof but the room ends at the eaves so probably more exposed and 2 walls are external in the bedroom I can feel the cold through the carpet

Greta84 Fri 27-Jan-17 18:31:01

Technically the garage should be insulated as it's all fire proof plasterboard I think he's used cheap insulation. I think I'll need another builder to come and look at ceiling floor and roof

Greta84 Fri 27-Jan-17 18:32:54

Will Look into cellotex & other insulation. I know all this insulation was put in but the room is so so cold.

Testificateman Fri 27-Jan-17 19:48:47

If your floor and roof isn't properly insulated, the cold air will be coming through the floor and the hot air will be going straight through the ceiling.
Check your loft to see how thick the insulation is and if it is totally covered.
You can also get self adhesive insulation for your garage ceiling. Not cheap though at about £55 for a 10 metre roll.

PigletJohn Fri 27-Jan-17 20:41:46

is it a flat roof, or a loft you can look into?

MrsMoastyToasty Fri 27-Jan-17 20:46:44

You can get thermal underlay for underneath the carpet.

PigletJohn Fri 27-Jan-17 21:00:39

if it's a budget builder's job, they have probably nailed down chipboard flooring. I wonder if they fitted insulation as required by building regulations? The correct specification is very effective.

mineral quilt is very cheap, and properly packed will block the cold air currents which I bet you are getting, as well as providing insulation. Rigid foam is hard to cut precisely enough to block draughts, especially round the edges.

Luckily chipboard is easy to take up, though it might break. If you go to that trouble, use screwed-down ply which is better.

Greta84 Fri 27-Jan-17 21:58:30

They've used plywood and all the work has passed building regs. The council wanted to see the roof pre insulation I think there is gaps in the skirting and the ply. I might look into the self adhesive for the ceiling in the garage. It's a loft we can look into. I just think he's probably not been neat in the screwing etc in the corners. Can I use self adhesive on the garage if it has to be fire safe there is a special plaster board on their at the moment.

Greta84 Fri 27-Jan-17 21:59:40

I think I'll have to get the builder back (unlikely he's not answering any calls)

BlackeyedPetitsPois Fri 27-Jan-17 22:02:59

We have the same problem. We had new thermal super thick underlay fitted, we also have a thermal roller blind (even though windows are newly double glazed).

We also bought a little thermostatically controlled oil filled radiator to supplement the central heating. It's brilliant and you can leave in on all night.

BlackeyedPetitsPois Fri 27-Jan-17 22:04:16

Meant to add these are all relatively quick easy fixes whilst you sort insulation etc.

Greta84 Fri 27-Jan-17 22:10:40

Thanks everyone the blinds and heater and underlay will help. So frustrating as it's our first winter in the house since the build was finished but I guess that's how you learn.

PigletJohn Fri 27-Jan-17 22:11:57

if the construction was inspected, then I suspect cold draughts from poor detailing, round the edges of the floor and ceiling allowing air to blow through the void.

It is possible to use expanding foam (the pink grade is fire-resisting) into gaps, though it is better to open up so you can see the defect and pack it.

Greta84 Fri 27-Jan-17 22:17:54

Definitely from more round the edges but the carpet feels so cold. Yes it was all quite thoroughly inspected by building control.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now