Talk

Advanced search

Where do I put the stupid telly?!

(21 Posts)
MummyPigLovesAppleSauce Thu 26-Jan-17 22:17:03

In the process of buying a new home and I cannot for the life of me work out where I'm going to put DH's stupid 55inch telly and sound bar!!
Room is 13ft x 11.5ft, so not a massive room.

Will be buying all new furniture so can be reconfigured to suit.

Help me oh wise MN! grin

Artandco Thu 26-Jan-17 22:19:10

I wouldn't even attempt to fit a 55 inch tv in that room

PenguinsandPebbles Thu 26-Jan-17 22:23:37

How big is the space above the fireplace? To the left of it looks big enough but will look unbalanced I think.

Personally if it was the TV or the fireplace I'd be knocking that out, making that wall flat and getting a corner sofa smile but the bigger the better TV for this technology driven lady smile

PickAChew Thu 26-Jan-17 22:26:41

In the garage!

howbesttohelp Thu 26-Jan-17 22:28:18

On EBay !

SwedishEdith Thu 26-Jan-17 22:31:38

Can it "break"?

MummyPigLovesAppleSauce Thu 26-Jan-17 22:33:48

Haha, if I could ditch it, I would.
Stupid thing is massive!
Do you think I could put it on the wall, opposite the window.. or would there be glare?
Can you put a tv above a fireplace? There is no way I'm knocking it out! It's one of the reasons I fell in love with the house!

Closedenv Thu 26-Jan-17 22:47:51

If it's a party wall do not fix to the wall! Why not to the left of the fireplace. Opposite the window depends on the location of the room eg south facing or not?

PigletJohn Fri 27-Jan-17 01:19:22

Above the fireplace is a mistake. It will be too high. Centre it at eye level from your sofas.

Maybe in the corner on an articulated arm.

hollinhurst84 Fri 27-Jan-17 01:57:12

What pigletjohn said. I have mine (it's not as big) on a clever stand thing. It has storage underneath and then an arm so I can swing it out or round or have it flat against the stand

piginboots Fri 27-Jan-17 02:28:58

To the left of the fireplace at a bit of an angle.

PigletJohn Fri 27-Jan-17 04:59:05

I can't see an arm that size. The 55" things are quite a lot more expensive than smaller ones.

www.richersounds.com/products/home-cinema/accessories/tv-brackets#1

Jugoo28 Fri 27-Jan-17 05:28:04

When we had a house like that, we had the TV in one of the alcoves on the side of the fire. It was good because we had a large picture over the fireplace so the TV wasn't the focus of the room if you see what I mean. In our new house, we have a seperate sitting room and dining room so we have a TV room instead of a dining room and a sitting room with a drop leaf table for when we want to eat at the table.

I bloody hate the giant TV and it won't be replaced when it breaks! DP had it before I met him and it was great in his flat which had a huge lounge and we had some really fun movie nights but we can't afford that level of lounge yet haha.

LaughKookaburra Fri 27-Jan-17 05:46:17

On gumtree. grin

abigfuckinghohoho Fri 27-Jan-17 08:42:57

Above the fireplace unless you intend to use the fire ? My mums old house was similar and similar size tv and that's where it was then put all the wires/plugs inside the wall so there not noticeablesmile

OnePlanOnHouzz Fri 27-Jan-17 09:44:55

For a 55" tv you should ideally be seated 2.1m to 2.9m away from it ... it's verging on being too big for that room I'd say ?!
Corner probably only option with seating set up around fireplace.

MummyPigLovesAppleSauce Fri 27-Jan-17 10:01:39

Thanks for your input guys. I think we are going to go with a clever corner bracket thingy for the left hand alcove and then a corner sofa on the opposite corner. It's not going to look like the beautiful, classy room I want but then I have two small DC, so it's going to look like a bloody preschool anyway!
Thanks again all smile

blueskyinmarch Fri 27-Jan-17 10:05:43

In that room i would put it at angle on a unit to the left of the fireplace. Thats what i have in my sitting room. I can go take a picture if you want?

blueskyinmarch Fri 27-Jan-17 10:07:03

Here. Not a massive telly though.

MinniesAndMickeysNeedCounting Fri 27-Jan-17 10:13:47

Won't that mean one side of your corner sofa cuts off the bay window? Depends whether you wanted to keep it clear.

I'd probably have a 3-4 seater sofa along the left wall going towards the left alcove, a armchair in/near other alcove and the tv along the wall you can't see in the pick.

Is the door into the room where the photo was taken from? Re-hang the door into the lounge the other way if needed

MinniesAndMickeysNeedCounting Fri 27-Jan-17 10:15:01

Or tv in left alcove and sofa on wall not in pic with armchair in bay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now