Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen Layout

(42 Posts)
Windowbasket Thu 26-Jan-17 21:39:35

Evening, everyone - I wondered if any of you might like to comment on my proposed kitchen layout? It's not something I've had done before and I'm worried about making the wrong decision! As the current layout stands, it has a sink on the island. However, I'd rather that the sink wasn't on the island as I'd like to have the work space. Any ideas on an alternative location for the sink ? Or any other thoughts on the plan? Constructive or otherwise!

savagehk Thu 26-Jan-17 21:43:27

Pic is a bit small to see what's going on.

Windowbasket Thu 26-Jan-17 22:06:41

It is, isn't it! I couldn't work out how to make it bigger (it's a screen shot) - will try again tomorrow!

RTKangaMummy Thu 26-Jan-17 22:11:52

Are those sinks in the room next to toilet?

If so imho it will be cheaper to have all plumbing and waste on same wall

What are the other things along the long wall?

What is room next to laundry and toilet room? At top of picture

Windowbasket Thu 26-Jan-17 22:17:10

Hi - it's a washer and dryer in small room next to toilet. Room above is a living or dining room. Long run of cabinets on left is hob, double oven and cupboards.

Windowbasket Fri 27-Jan-17 09:17:20

Is this image any clearer?

Windowbasket Fri 27-Jan-17 09:18:57

At the end of the kitchen (south of the island) there is space for a table and chairs, and then bifold. I just wondered if any of the wise people on here had any thoughts on the proposed kitchen layout. I'm worried that I may be short on kitchen worktop space which is why I wondered about relocating the sink (currently on the island) - but I'm not sure where it would go!

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Fri 27-Jan-17 09:23:38

Where's the fridge? I can see the numbers but can't make out the writing.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 27-Jan-17 09:28:40

i'd turn the island around 90degrees and maybe have a slightly raised back so that people at the table can't see into the kitchen

I know when we have a big family meal in the kitchen I am twitchy about trying to make sure there's not a load of cooking debris hanging about.

NotMeNoNo Fri 27-Jan-17 09:30:51

As an aside are you stuck with the chimney breast where the cooker is? Without it you could slide the cooker down a unit which would give proper space next to it.

I think in our house the island would be permanently piled with washing up - is your dishwasher under it?
I think I'd extend the wall/run where unit 2 is, have sink/dishwasher there, but not too tight to corner, and have the island with nothing on it it but as a good spread-out/serving out space.

Windowbasket Fri 27-Jan-17 09:45:23

Thanks for your replies! Lonny - the fridge is 'no 2'. Notme - yes, we are stuck with the chimney breast. The dishwasher would be beneath the island. Not sure how I could extend the run where No 2 is - unless there might be a better location for the fridge/freezer (ideas welcome!). Although it's a good idea as my preference would be to have the island as a work/prep area, as you say. Tondelaya, I have thought about turning the island around 90 degrees - can't make my mind up - do you think it might spoil the flow a little in terms of having to walk round it? Or would I be better making the kitchen area a 'U' shape? Gah, this is so tricky!

wowfudge Fri 27-Jan-17 09:45:55

I wonder about turning the island round too - it looks a little tight for space around the table.

wowfudge Fri 27-Jan-17 09:51:22

X post with you OP - you've got a large area of dead space between the top end of the kitchen and the window. Why not use some of that and take the bank of units where the FF is further out to the right and out the larder unit in there instead of on that other wall. It will balance a turned around island better then and work in terms of food prep.

Windowbasket Fri 27-Jan-17 09:55:13

Not sure how taking that bank of units out further would work, though - wouldn't it look odd walking into the kitchen and the first thing you see is the bank of a fridge freezer? Do you mean build the wall out further? Apologies if I haven't understood this correctly confused

Windowbasket Fri 27-Jan-17 09:57:32

I guess an alternative idea would be to take the units the full length of the left-hand wall and have a big kitchen table in the middle ...

Windowbasket Fri 27-Jan-17 10:10:10

OK, here is an alternative idea - I've turned it into a U-shape with the sink overlooking the garden and a completely clear workspace/return. BUT the double oven is still situated to the left of the sink and would obviously need to be moved somewhere! Any thoughts on this one …? Thank you SO much, everyone smile

petitdonkey Fri 27-Jan-17 10:15:18

I prefer the first layout - it is very similar to mine (although I sony have enough storage)
It's essentially a galley kitchen which works real well. I think it would annoy me if I sat at the table, realised I had forgotten something and then had to go around to get it.

petitdonkey Fri 27-Jan-17 10:16:44

I don't have enough storage.

Also, can you put pocket doors on the loo to separate it from the utility bit? Family will never shut them but a guest would.

petitdonkey Fri 27-Jan-17 10:19:08

also, can you switch your draining board to the other side? I do all of my food prep in the centre island - the sink is to my right with the draining board to the right of that above the dishwasher. Makes it very easy when clearing the table as it goes straight into the dishwasher at the end.

Windowbasket Fri 27-Jan-17 11:09:23

Hi, yes - there will be a door to the loo, definitely. Petitdonkey, yes I agree with your thoughts and had thought the same myself. It's a pain though as the u shape would give me that extra space for the sink AND it would be overlooking the garden (better). Do you find that you have enough work surface?

NotMeNoNo Fri 27-Jan-17 11:15:26

It's a tricky space. What's the ceiling - can you manage an extractor if the hob goes on the island?

Windowbasket Fri 27-Jan-17 11:18:32

Don't want hob on the island for safety reasons (kids!). So it's definitely staying where it is.

savagehk Fri 27-Jan-17 12:08:38

Not sure hob on island is any less safe with kids about? What if it's an induction hob?

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 27-Jan-17 12:23:53

i don't like the pic with red in....it's going to make it a one person kitchen iyswim

I'd go for a slimmer island...turned like I said before. I dont think it would make getting to and fro the dining table awkward Are you having a breakfast bar effort on it, are the circle ext to it stools/seats?

What's on the wall by the toilet/washer room??

I have an almost floor to ceiling bank of wall cupboards in one recess/corner of my kitchen, which works amazingly well for storage....loads of shelf to space ratio and very easy to access, no raking at the back as they are only shallow.

...was wondering if you could do that on the toilet/washer room wall? Or maybe on the opposite side to the island?

petitdonkey Fri 27-Jan-17 12:25:30

I have my sink on the island and it works well but can look messy - I wish that I had stepped the unit so that where the stools are is a separate surfeit (Does that make sense? I think you have done that??) I have the hob on the island which has never been a problem with the children but I also have an ago where your hob seems to be. I have enough work surface but wish I has more storage. I also have very little counter space against the wall and no corners which means that the units against the wall look very cluttered - I have a small space in which to fit coffee machine, kettle, toaster, kitchen aid, nutribullet - that is the one thing I would change. Will try to add a photo on my phone..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now