Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have a cat flap through a wall? Any other alternatives to a cat flap in glass doors?

(23 Posts)
HiDBandSIL Thu 26-Jan-17 18:08:00

I'm building a kitchen extension and don't want to put a cat flap in the glass doors that we'll have. The only other option seems to be to get rid of the cat to put a cat flap through the wall.

Any ideas? Will that work? I'm thinking it would be quite a long tunnel and my cat is a contrary sod quite particular about things.

MauiChristmas Thu 26-Jan-17 18:11:21

We've got a cat flap through a wall. It's more of a tunnel. The cats love it as they sit in the tunnell. It works for us.

PollytheDolly Thu 26-Jan-17 18:12:34

Used to have one through a wall. You can buy ones esp for this. Looked better than in the door in my opinion

SliceOfLime Thu 26-Jan-17 18:13:01

My parents had one in their old house, it was quite a long tunnel as the walls were thick, and had a few bricks as 'steps' outside as the floor was lower out there. The cat got used to it after a couple of days. I guess if he has no other choice he'll adapt. Aren't all cats contrary sods? wink

DesolateWaist Thu 26-Jan-17 18:14:20

We have one through a wall. Cat doesn't care.

LowDudgeon Thu 26-Jan-17 18:15:13

We have French windows with a small plastic panel at the bottom specially for the cat flap

Will dig out a pic smile

Toomanycats99 Thu 26-Jan-17 18:15:24

We have one through a fairly thick wall. Only issue we had was the flap with locking mechanism was outside and the cats would twig if you went to shut it and run out patio doors when u came back in. My husband just built a little door on the inside to get around it.

LowDudgeon Thu 26-Jan-17 18:19:33

Of course if you're having one of those walls of glass it wouldn't work

Autumnchill Thu 26-Jan-17 18:22:45

Sister has one and only one of the 4 cats uses it. The others just refuse to put anything more than their head through it.

minipie Thu 26-Jan-17 18:26:24

My parents had this. Quite a long tunnel effect yes. It was mostly fine - although a bit more of an issue once the cats got a bit elderly and less limber. Is your cat young, slim and healthy?

JustSpeakSense Thu 26-Jan-17 18:30:05

We have a larger 'dog/cat' flap through the wall, works perfectly, both pets happy to use it

Ethelswith Thu 26-Jan-17 18:43:28

An ex had one at his parents. Again, thickish wall so a cat tunnel that they did not immediately take to. But worked very well once they got used to it.

I always thought it was less use to a burglar than something in a door.

HiDBandSIL Fri 27-Jan-17 08:25:29

Thank you. Sounds like a mixed bag.

Cat is 15, not fat but he isn't a small cat. In good shape but it would definitely need to be more of a dog flap.

wanderings Fri 27-Jan-17 08:28:57

Gone through a wall in two different houses; it worked fine, even if the walls were a foot thick.

LowDudgeon Fri 27-Jan-17 11:08:50

One of mine is quite big - nearly 6kg. He arrived after the flap, which is standard (small) cat size & he fits through ok, but he's young & energetic & not at all fat (^at the moment^)

Macarena1990 Fri 27-Jan-17 14:44:41

We have a pet flap in our extension, which we used to have in our kitchen door. Our cat coped with the change!

harrietm87 Fri 27-Jan-17 15:13:02

We've got one in a window (ground floor). Cat loves it - sits on the windowsill (inside and out) watching the world go by (/guarding his territory and warding off invaders!)

Bexxxinleeds Sun 05-Mar-17 20:49:40

What did it cost to get the flap fitted in a wall? Buying a house with bi fold doors so not putting a flap in them but have a cat who won't be happy being stuck indoors when out at work.

downwardfacingdog Sun 05-Mar-17 22:03:45

We're thinking of doing this in our extension too. We could put one in the door, but ideally want to have a fully glazed door.

HiDBandSIL Mon 06-Mar-17 09:16:45

Sorry bexxx - ours will be put in while the extension is being built so I can't tell you what the stand alone cost is.

SheldonsSpot Mon 06-Mar-17 09:19:33

We had one in our last house, our younger cat used it and used to sleep in the tunnel too. Our older cat was having none of it and used to howl at the glass door to come in or out.

IHeartKingThistle Mon 06-Mar-17 09:20:25

We had an extension last year which involved losing the back door. Sadly we lost our old girl shortly after but if we were to get another cat we would have to put in one cat flap into the garage from the utility room and then another in the garage to get outside. Do we think a cat would cope with that?

Manupprincess Mon 06-Mar-17 09:28:20

We had a tunnel put in our wall, about 1 1/2foot long. Older, very round cat took to it straight away but crazy younger cat has taken 18 months to start using it. He still prefers us to open the door but then he only really goes outside with us (his choice). If you do go ahead then put plants around the outside, as they can't see who else is around so they like to have a bit of cover.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now