Talk

Advanced search

Which Farrow and Ball red?

(29 Posts)
MrBennOfFestiveRoad Thu 26-Jan-17 13:26:32

Trying to decide is driving me mad! It's for one wall area in my living room, with the other walls a greige colour. I currently have samples of Book Room Red - too dull; Blazer - to orangey; Raddichio - too pink; Eating Room Red - seems too look a bit brownish in dull lighting but otherwise, I think that I like this the best... It's not helping that the samples are painted onto an existing red, which is an unknown colour in between Book Room and Blazer. Then I need to decide whether to go for Estate Emulsion or Modern Emulsion - I have two young DC, so probably the latter would be best but I'm hoping that it won't be too shiny. I need to make a decision ASAP and it's a difficult area to paint, so I need to get it right, and buying sample pots is getting expensive!

MrBennOfFestiveRoad Thu 26-Jan-17 13:27:41

"too orangey".

Shadowboy Thu 26-Jan-17 13:29:58

We have the modern emulsion in our kitchen extension- it's not a honey but doesn't hide any lumps/bumps well. So unless you have newly plastered flat walls go for estate emulsion

highwoodwitch Thu 26-Jan-17 13:35:24

Rectory red looks nicer to me and seems a more modern colour. I don't think the modern emulsion is very shiny, just a slight sheen compared to the very flat chalky estate, and would be a better choice in your circumstances. Good luck - sure it will look great.

MrBennOfFestiveRoad Thu 26-Jan-17 13:46:47

Thanks for the replies. The plaster in the area that we want is actually pretty smooth (unlike the rest of the house!) and it is somewhere that the children put their hands on as they walk past but I love the look of the Estate Emulsion. The house is quite old/rustic but Rectory Red is another one to consider, along with Incarnadine...

Shadowboy Thu 26-Jan-17 13:48:14

Damn autocorrect! Where did honey come from?! I meant shiney!

mowgelijeffs Thu 26-Jan-17 14:05:09

The modern emulsion is much better it is wipe down and lasts longer then the estate one.
We have FB all over our home and the hallway is the only place with the modern emulsion. It's very resilient and it isn't shiney. Want me to take a photo?

mowgelijeffs Thu 26-Jan-17 14:07:22

So I've taken a picture of it by drift wood which is very dull and then by glasses which are shiney to help with perspective

MrBennOfFestiveRoad Thu 26-Jan-17 14:18:09

Mowgelijeffs - yes please, pictures would be good, although I think that your comments already have me decided on the modern emulsion. I just need to decide on the red now!

mowgelijeffs Thu 26-Jan-17 14:25:25

Choices choices choices grin

MrBennOfFestiveRoad Thu 26-Jan-17 17:55:44

I couldn't see the photos earlier, that's really helpful, thanks ☺

beanfilledfish Thu 26-Jan-17 18:00:22

magnum of tizer

highwoodwitch Thu 26-Jan-17 18:30:18

As red is a highly pigmented paint you will probably need at least three, preferably thin, coats to achieve the depth of colour. It may look hideous after the first coat but should improve with each coat. Would love to know how it turns out.

MrBennOfFestiveRoad Thu 26-Jan-17 18:44:56

Thanks, hopefully my decorator will do that! It is over an existing red, which we think is Farrow & Ball but aren't sure which colour and want a darker shade.

PippaFawcett Thu 26-Jan-17 22:24:05

highwood, that is interesting. We bought a Fired Earth red that looked nothing like we expected it to and we didn't think to do another layer as it didn't look like the amount of coats was the issue.

BakeOffBiscuits Thu 26-Jan-17 22:29:50

We have Rectory Red in the sitting room, it took blooming ages to get the right colour.
I tried Laura Ashley reds - too pink and crap quality and Fired Earth reds. The are Rectory Red is beautiful- it did take 3 coats though!

MrBennOfFestiveRoad Fri 27-Jan-17 09:56:58

I do really like the Rectory Red on the colour chart but I'm not sure whether it goes as well with the house - the room has beige carpets but we have quarry tiles in ajacent rooms and stripped pine doors. I have to buy the paint today, so have a few more hours to decide!

SimplyNigella Fri 27-Jan-17 10:02:59

We have Incardine modern emulsion in our hallway and love it.

bumpertobumper Fri 27-Jan-17 10:06:59

I have rectory red in the office room. I love it. Goes well with beigy colours, you wouldn't want it with white.
Good luck!
Glad I'm not the only one who is still deciding on colours while the painters are prepping grin

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Fri 27-Jan-17 10:08:05

We have rectory red in the basement, it's perfect - a proper red red, very deep and sophisticated.

blueskyinmarch Fri 27-Jan-17 10:08:47

I have rectory red on the chimney breast in my sitting room. Do you want a picture of it? I seem to be all about the pictures of my sitting room today!

blueskyinmarch Fri 27-Jan-17 10:11:28

I think we have Dimity on the other walls.

MrBennOfFestiveRoad Fri 27-Jan-17 10:18:52

Thanks, that looks really great and I love your fireplace. I really like Dimity too, we have it in our hallway. I'm now considering going to buy a sample pot of Rectory Red!

blueskyinmarch Fri 27-Jan-17 10:21:48

Thank you. We tried loads of sample pots of reds and this one was by far the best.

BakeOffBiscuits Fri 27-Jan-17 12:02:51

MeBen we have beige tones in the sitting room too- well, oak doors and beams and cream carpets. Because it quite a long room we also have the far end painted in F&B RIngwood Ground, which is quite creamy, the rectory red fits well with it all.

Definitely get a sample pot and try it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now