Talk

Advanced search

Stinky sink & dishwasher

(13 Posts)
fraggle84 Thu 26-Jan-17 12:37:08

Our kitchen sink & dishwasher smell awful.

Both have been cleaned and I've put down some mr muscle unblocker and also some sanitising granules but neither have helped.

Neither seems blocked or slow to drain

Any ideas what I can do?

InformalRoman Thu 26-Jan-17 13:21:47

Have you tried unscrewing the u-trap under the sink and giving it a good clean out? Also worth cleaning the filter and behind the seals on the dishwasher if you haven't already tried that?

InfiniteSheldon Thu 26-Jan-17 14:32:51

Plug in, fill sink with hottest water you can and bleach(real bleach) leave for fifteen minutes and drain. Run an empty hot dishwasher cycle with tablet. Go outside check those drains and pour a boiling kettle down them too, lift any cover and check for anything nasty.

fraggle84 Thu 26-Jan-17 14:46:09

I've cleaned the filter, door and all seals in the dishwasher. All were fairly keen

Have no idea what a u trap is though so haven't done that but will look on YouTube after the school run.

Tried to open the drain cover outside but can't get it open, nothing on it to grab and don't have the strength to pull it from the side ridge bit. May have to ring someone to help with that

AliceThrewTheFookingGlass Thu 26-Jan-17 15:03:49

Can you see a U shaped pipe under your sink? At either end of this pipe there will be a twisty bit. If you turn those the pipe will loosen and you can take it off to clean/unblock.

My sink has smelt awful for a few weeks. Although it stank it drained perfectly fine up until Monday when it wouldn't drain at all. There was a massive blockage in the U pipe and the smell has gone since I've cleared it out.

fraggle84 Thu 26-Jan-17 15:14:45

Ah thanks I'm sure I can do that when I get back

InformalRoman Thu 26-Jan-17 15:19:34

Make sure you put a large bowl or bucket underneath as it will have water in it. It is easy to do - if you get stuck there are plenty of videos on Youtube.

fraggle84 Thu 26-Jan-17 17:23:51

I've done that and there was nothing In it and smelt ok 🤔

FemaleDilbert Thu 26-Jan-17 17:28:28

What is the smell? Is it sewage type smell or more like manky food/water?

InformalRoman Thu 26-Jan-17 17:36:52

Sounds like it's further down the system? You could try bicarb and white vinegar- half cup of bicarb followed by cup of white vinegar (it will fizz).

Testificateman Thu 26-Jan-17 17:43:57

Anywhere water has been standing for some time, it becomes stagnant. The smell of stagnant water is hard to shift. Make sure no water is left standing and just be patient and keep on cleaning, daily if you can, until the smell goes. No quick solution I'm afraid.

mrsglowglow Thu 26-Jan-17 18:51:35

Have you got a small hole in your sink drainer where water can drain to. We ha sink like this once and had the awful smell. Like you I tried everything but didn't realise it was coming from this bit. Poured loads of bleach in, left for 30 mins and then a kettle of boiling water and it cleared it all.

fraggle84 Thu 26-Jan-17 18:53:37

I'd say it smells like a really old public toilet!

Not of poo but a stinky unclean smell

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now