Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen fitting woes

(7 Posts)
wowfudge Thu 26-Jan-17 08:12:49

Hmm - everything was going so well: building work done, kitchen design sorted and all ready to order kitchen from DIY Kitchens. Then the fitter's quote has come in and it's astronomical. Three days' more work than he said when he was here, plus additional costs he hadn't mentioned. What makes this a pain is that DP has been coordinating things around his availability (builder recommended him) so we weren't expecting this.

Argh.

minijoeyjojo Thu 26-Jan-17 08:18:51

Sorry no real advice, but having just refurbished my house I can sympathise. There seems to be a significantly larger than average contingent of crooks and complete arseholes in the building industry. Moral code and sticking to your word is not something we've experienced angry

I can't tell from your post if the work has been done or if he's just quoting. If it's just a quote I'd get more in. If not could you speak to your builder? He recommended them so may have some sway re the extras

wowfudge Thu 26-Jan-17 12:05:18

Thanks minijoey. He's just quoted and the builder has been really reasonable in price. The extras include something he must have known before he even came to look at the job (too identfying to be explicit), but never mentioned so it's rather galling. I've come to the conclusion he doesn't want to do it.

FrogFairy Thu 26-Jan-17 18:29:39

Sometimes a tradesman will give a high quote because they don't want the job.

Get some other quotes to compare, ask around family and friends for recommendations so perhaps you could even visit and view their kitchens.

minijoeyjojo Thu 26-Jan-17 18:44:28

Oh well that's good that it's just a quote, it's a shame it's more but get a few more and you can see if he's far too much or not. Be wary of going for the cheap option though, we've usually found these are the people who have missed things and add it on later or are just totally incompetent!!

Liara Thu 26-Jan-17 19:33:48

If he's given a really high quote then he doesn't want the job but doesn't want the person who recommended him to be embarrassed by him refusing the job.

Standard practice, really.

wowfudge Thu 26-Jan-17 19:52:17

That is exactly what I thought. I prefer honesty though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now