Talk

Advanced search

New kitchen less than two months old and now this!!

(4 Posts)
Squidgems Thu 26-Jan-17 00:02:25

The base units directly under the sink and to the side are getting damaged by water leaks whilst washing up.

The kitchen fiitters fitted the worktop edge flush with the doors of the base unit on that side of the kitchen. See pictures. Is that a normal thing to do? They left an overhang on the opposite wall.

It isn't helping that my adult DS has aspergers and creates a mess in the kitchen leaving pools of water on the worksurfaces. He won't clean anything up unless I'm stood over him.

Now the trim at the bottom of the base units is starting to come away and the board is developing bubbles. I'm gutted given the amount I've paid for the kitchen.

It's a Homebase Simply Hygena kitchen but I thought it shouldn't start to fall apart after less than two months. I'm worried though that if I contact them they will put it down to poor fitting by my kitchen fitter or not cleaning up water spillages promptly!

PickAChew Thu 26-Jan-17 00:15:53

Make sure it's sealed around the sink.

The worktop really should be overhanging a little, though. That's really poor workmanship.

ExplodedCloud Thu 26-Jan-17 00:23:18

No that looks wrong. The worktop in front of my sink has a good overhang above the base units. Fitted 7 months ago and no peeling even with an Aspie and a 5 year old using it.
Complain.

swillows Thu 26-Jan-17 08:18:08

There should definitely be an overhang.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now