Talk

Advanced search

Worcester

(21 Posts)
Shadowboy Wed 25-Jan-17 16:42:46

We are looking to move here. We don't want a new build an need to be East of the river. We have excellent access to flood mapping so can analyse that aspect ourselves. But not sure what areas to avail or go for.
Anyone know Worcester and can advise?

Shadowboy Wed 25-Jan-17 16:43:43

*avoid not avail

roughtobuff Wed 25-Jan-17 17:23:27

Do you need to be close to the city centre? How far out can you be? Would you prefer slightly rural or are you happy on an estate?

nobodysbabynow Wed 25-Jan-17 17:28:42

Barbourne is lovely if you want to be very close to town.

CMOTDibbler Wed 25-Jan-17 17:30:10

As Rough says, there's a lot of choice. How not new do you want to be? And where will you be working roughly as you wouldn't ideally want to go across the town from St Peters to Blackpole if you knew that upfront.

roughtobuff Wed 25-Jan-17 17:31:27

I have family who live in Claines and that is a nice area, not too far from town and good connections for the m5 motorway but has a village feel to it.

roughtobuff Wed 25-Jan-17 17:32:19

I know Worcester quite well so if you want to post some houses/areas up I can tell you which ones to avoid!

Shadowboy Wed 25-Jan-17 19:40:03

So ideally something with character. No large estates. We have a budget of £375,000 so probably can't afford the best postcodes/streets. None of us work in Worcester itself but family nearby and my husband works from home 2/3 says a week. The rest of the time he works in Bristol so needs motorway access. Near a park would be nice as we have two kids and a dog.

roughtobuff Wed 25-Jan-17 20:26:02

How many bedrooms do you need?

roughtobuff Wed 25-Jan-17 20:32:40

This is a nice area, there isn't much in the way of a garden but there is a massive brilliant part really close called Ghulevelt.
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56323768.html

Hallow is nice too, some nice pubs there, has the village feel. I'm not sure about motorway access though, I don't know if you would have to go through the town to get to the motorway which would not be ideal.
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57534895.html

Shadowboy Wed 25-Jan-17 20:32:49

Minimum of 3 but 4 ideal so we can use one as an office

nobodysbabynow Wed 25-Jan-17 20:57:10

Hallow is great but on the wrong side of the river for motorway access.

hazelnutlatte Wed 25-Jan-17 21:07:12

I miss living in Worcester, it's a lovely city! Always wanted to live in Barbourne as Gulevelt park is great, plus close to the river and city centre, but for motorway access somewhere like Battenhall would be better. I lived there for a while and really liked it - walking distance to town, can walk to canalside for nice walks, new waitrose nearby and nice houses with big gardens.

Magstermay Thu 26-Jan-17 21:17:07

Do you need to be near particular schools? Barbourne/ Northwick are near Gheluvelt park and Pitchcroft for walking/ playing. They're not the best for access to the South though. You could look at Spetchley Road area which has the Countryside Centre nearby, or Kempsey just south of Worcester (can head South to M50 then M5).
There are nice villages to the east of the M5.

Shadowboy Thu 26-Jan-17 21:28:53

Thank you, we have a toddler and 2 month old so schools not a concern yet. We know the Village of Whittington well and family in Kempsey but it seems to be packed with new build estates which we are not keen on.

Magstermay Thu 26-Jan-17 22:11:33

It's worth thinking about schools though if you are buying as you won't want to be moving again before the toddler starts school!

YippieKayakOtherBuckets Thu 26-Jan-17 22:13:35

Crowle is a lovely village just outside Worcester. Schools in the city are mixed so although your DC are small do think ahead to schooling. The independents are excellent if that is an option.

Shadowboy Thu 26-Jan-17 23:02:54

We were planning on independent schooling once they reach secondary age.

We've seen a lovely 4 bed Victorian grade 2 listed in Battenhall what's that like as an area?

Magstermay Fri 27-Jan-17 04:54:58

Generally very nice I believe, it's not an area I know well though so like everywhere some bits will be better than others. Cherry Orchard and Redhill primaries are near there too.

Dowser Fri 27-Jan-17 12:53:13

Such a lovely part of the country you lucky people.
We are visiting again in April for the dowsing weekend.
Always stay an extra day just to soak up the atmosphere.

Shadowboy Tue 07-Feb-17 21:00:29

So we've had an offer on a property in Barbourne accepted (yay!) but my father in law reckons it's on a rat run and will be noisy/a nightmare to get home/to work. Does anyone know which streets are frequently used as a rat run or is it easier for me to post the property?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now