Talk

Advanced search

Sealing oak veneer door

(8 Posts)
SearchingforSleep Wed 25-Jan-17 14:18:04

We've bought some unfinished oak veneer doors from Wickes.

Has anyone got any recommendations about a good product to use to seal them?

I'm concerned about them delaminating and I'm reading conflicting information about whether oils/varnish/water-based products risk delaminating the doors.

Any advice gratefully received! Thanks.

user1469117700 Wed 25-Jan-17 14:21:31

osmo oil - matt clear

carabos Wed 25-Jan-17 14:29:01

We've just done replaced our internal and front doors with oak veneer doors. On the advice of the joiner who installed them DH finished them using a water based varnish - two quick drying coats and it leaves a nice silky finish with a soft sheen.

wowfudge Wed 25-Jan-17 16:00:42

You're not supposed to use oil or wax on veneered doors.

Allsloppy Wed 25-Jan-17 16:43:26

I have recently some oak veneer doors from wicked and painted with water based varnish as recommended on the door description.

gluenotsoup Wed 25-Jan-17 21:03:08

I paid to have mine lacquered in a Matt finish, and they are perfectly smooth and beautiful.

PigletJohn Wed 25-Jan-17 21:50:45

I like satin varnish (not gloss as it looks unnatural, like a toffee-apple)

If the veneer is still bare, you can colour it with Colron or similar before varnishing. It's easier to touch up or recoat than if you use a coloured stain.

The label (or manufacturer) should give advice. Most commonly they say, not suitable for oil or wax.

SearchingforSleep Thu 26-Jan-17 11:38:30

Thanks very much for the advice. I will stick with the water based varnish as recommended on the label then. I had read (elsewhere) that water based varnish isn't good for veneered doors which was what was confusing me but I will go with the advice from the manufacturer.
Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now