Talk

Advanced search

Odd layout - help!

(36 Posts)
Neenook Tue 24-Jan-17 22:05:42

I have a three storey Victorian (1912) house which we are trying to finish doing up. The top floor is causing an almighty headache as it has a really odd layout. Previously a separate flat it has two good size bedrooms, another room which we intend to use as a bathroom and another odd, very narrow room with an internal and external window. It was used as a bathroom but only had room for the bath and a sink at the end it is so narrow. Our options so far are, using it as as a storeroom or knocking the internal wall with the window down, to create a galleried landing.

To complicate the issue the ceiling slopes at an angle as it is under the eaves.

I really can't picture what to do and am puzzled by the room itself and the internal window. What would it have been used for when the house was built? And how can we (without spending a fortune) create a useable layout? I've attached a very dodgy picture Ive just done on my phone and will take some pics tomorrow if that will help.

Thanks.

Neenook Tue 24-Jan-17 22:07:39

Dodgy plan below!

stiffstink Tue 24-Jan-17 22:08:16

How long is it? Do you have an attic? I'd be tempted to use it as a big store for stuff like the Christmas tree, but I'd also be wary of it turning into a Monica-cupboard.

Neenook Tue 24-Jan-17 22:09:00

The dark splodges are the position of the windows - obviously 😉

Neenook Tue 24-Jan-17 22:11:03

It is long enough for a full length bath about a 2 foot gap and a big sink on the end wall. Just about enough width to get out the bath and walk fown the side. (Bath has gone now - foul horrid thing)

Neenook Tue 24-Jan-17 22:12:08

Yes to attic. Quite big too. I was thinking about laundry/towels and...stuff 😬

contortionist Tue 24-Jan-17 22:13:47

Dressing room / walk-in wardrobe for bedroom 1?
1912 is (at a push) Edwardian, definitely not Victorian.

OfstedAintEverything Tue 24-Jan-17 22:14:00

If it's the top floor (and you already have a bathroom on the main bedroom floor) why not use the weird small room as a shower-room with loo and baby sink?
Means you keep an extra "proper" room up therebut still have a loo and ablution...

Kahlua4me Tue 24-Jan-17 22:18:27

Ensuite for bedroom1?

Neenook Tue 24-Jan-17 22:19:12

Edwardian? Oh ok. What do you mean at a push?!

We would get a shower in as the ceiling slopes so steeply. Looks like dressing room/storage is a possibility then.

Neenook Tue 24-Jan-17 22:19:45

Wouldn't get a shower in.

MimsyBorogroves Tue 24-Jan-17 22:21:04

I thought walk in wardrobe too.

mirokarikovo Tue 24-Jan-17 22:23:49

Ensuite wet room for the bedroom it is next to. No bath. Loo and shower but no shower tray (hence wetroom)

Pleasemrstweedie Tue 24-Jan-17 22:24:24

Edwardian 1901-1911 smile

MoonlightandMusic Tue 24-Jan-17 22:25:20

Is the internal window wall an original one? We had something similar when we bought ours (but no eaves issue). It was a partition wall that was put up when they converted the house into flats, and the internal window was to allow light into the stairwell for the top flat (which was over two floors) from a skylight.

Our builders found the original spindles and bannister in the loft, so we changed it back to the original layout. The improvement in the amount of light coming into the house as a result was significant.

Also, you could have a decent joiner build in a cabinet for the lowest part of the eaves and use for towels/bed linen storage for that floor.

Joinourclub Tue 24-Jan-17 22:26:30

I love a big landing. I think it makes a house much more grand and spacious. Would make the stairway much lighter too. You could always put a nice linen cabinet there for a small amount of storage.

Boulshired Tue 24-Jan-17 22:31:07

Without size it is difficult, showers especially wet rooms can be squeezed in too really right spaces
www.glass360.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/IMG_0998_opt-1.jpg
If it is that tight for space then a cupboard or gallery for wow factor, maybe a chair and bookcases

yellowflags Tue 24-Jan-17 22:34:48

Utility room?

Neenook Tue 24-Jan-17 22:35:02

Ooh, now I'm confused! It would lighten things up tremendously.
I'll post some pics tomorrow so you can see properly - beware though it is a real building site mess!

mrstweedie It was due to be finished in 1911 - the cast iron drainpipe on the front has 1911 on it, but they obviously overran as it was altered to a very wonky '12!!

wowfudge Tue 24-Jan-17 22:40:18

Study/office? With a storage cupboard for towels and linen.

Spam88 Tue 24-Jan-17 22:45:28

I think it'd be lovely to knock through and just have a big landing smile but then on the other hand it's a room you can just pile crap in and close the door, which id probably be reluctant to get rid of.

EineKleine Tue 24-Jan-17 22:55:24

Could you open it up (back?) into a landing, put a desk in and use it as an open study area? A variation on the swedish thing of having a tv lounge area on an extended landing. Might not be the warmest spot though.

We had a tiny bedroom with internal window in our bog standard 3 bed semi. We just assumed it was because it had literally been intended as a boxroom rather than bedroom, but maybe they valued light over privacy more then. Do you know if the internal window is original?

wowfudge Tue 24-Jan-17 22:58:28

Top floor of an Edwardianish house? It'll be warm.

gincamelbak Tue 24-Jan-17 22:59:58

I'd use it as a study, sewing room or out shelves and hanging space and use it for storage of out of season stuff.

SauvignonGrower Tue 24-Jan-17 23:06:11

We used a room like that as our utility room for washing in a terraced house. Works brilliantly because clothes don't go downstairs. But you have to make sure you aren't doing washing overnight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now