Talk

Advanced search

Replacing painted wardrobe/cupboard handles?

(8 Posts)
Aquiver Tue 24-Jan-17 16:57:13

Hiya,

I've bought a set of painted Warren Evans furniture slightly regretfully and opted for the white painted option.

Unfortunately the furniture comes with wooden handles which have also been painted over. I really think they would look much better being replaced with silver or other handles, but the handles seem totally impossible to remove!

Despite much effort, they do not seem to want to twist or budge at all sad does anyone have any tips for removing them, particularly without leaving unsightly marks or damage to the surrounding area?

Thanks in advance! grin

PigletJohn Tue 24-Jan-17 18:24:18

have a look on the inside of the door. Are there screw-heads?
post some pics.

Aquiver Tue 24-Jan-17 19:13:39

Thanks PigletJohn for replying. Righteo - here are some photos.

Each of the drawers (from the dressing table, side chest of drawers and the main chest of drawers) have a tiny hole on the inside (first photo). I can't get close enough or see inside the hole, to see if there is a screw or something visible.

The wardrobes don't have any hole visible on the other side (second and third photos).

Gave a few random drawer knobs a twist - still not budged an inch!

PigletJohn Wed 25-Jan-17 00:08:35

I can't make it out, but they look like the sort of knobs that are fixed with a small screw from inside. If you stroke the inside of the door with your fingertips you might feel a dimple where it was filled and painted.

Try asking the maker.

PigletJohn Wed 25-Jan-17 11:41:52

this picture might work

i.ebayimg.com/images/g/pzQAAOSwFV9X0XKs/s-l1600.jpg

If it was fitted before painting, it may also be stuck in place by the paint. The head of the screw, when tightened, tends to sink into the back of the door as it is very small.

Lots more knobs here

Aquiver Wed 25-Jan-17 14:25:34

I think that's exactly what has happened Piglet - the handles have been attached and then painted over, hence they are super tight and fixed in place with the paint.

I'll see if I can get a teeny screwdriver or similar where there are holes visible.

Where there are no holes, I wonder if I could use some kind of paint thinner or similar to loosen the painted handle and then twist off...?

PigletJohn Wed 25-Jan-17 14:29:16

I'd be more inclined to scratch the paint away on the inside of the door where the screw (probably) is. Try the one with the visible hole. Once you have one out you will know how they are done.

There used to be knobs with what looks like a woodscrew embedded in them, that you screw in from the front, but they are not often seen now. They tend to come loose with wear.

Aquiver Tue 31-Jan-17 11:29:05

Thank you PigletJohn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now