Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Am I being a bit naive or is my solicitor a bit crap?

(15 Posts)
Beeswax2017 Tue 24-Jan-17 15:21:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

specialsubject Tue 24-Jan-17 15:53:18

not a bit crap - a lot crap.

go to the senior partner (if this inefficient flossie isn't it, I hope not) and raise merry hell.

exchange and complete on same day maximises work, stress and cost.

rallytog1 Tue 24-Jan-17 17:41:14

That is absolutely crap. If you're buying with a mortgage and are doing same day exchange and completion, the mortgage provider will need to confirm they can send the funds over that quickly. Our solicitor had to put in a special request to get ours expedited when we had just 2 days between exchange and completion. Did she mention whether she's requested the funds for Friday?

And if there are others in the chain, they'll all need to be in agreement and in a position to make it happen on the same day.

Do as pp says - insist on speaking to the senior partner to find out exactly what is going on.

PurpleDaisies Tue 24-Jan-17 17:48:13

Is it something to do with your deposit? If I remember rightly when we exchanged with our sellers we had to pay a deposit which we had from the proceeds of our sale since we'd already completed and moved into rented accommodation.

hoa.org.uk/advice/guides-for-homeowners/i-am-buying/how-do-i-exchange-contracts/

I wouldn't book out movers until we'd exchanged contracts a week before we completed.

PurpleDaisies Tue 24-Jan-17 17:49:01

And it's rubbish if no one actually knows what's going on with your purchase until Friday-I agree with speaking to a senior person at the firm.

wowfudge Tue 24-Jan-17 18:27:18

Sounds as though she hasn't requested the draw down of mortgage money in time for you to exchange in advance. I'd want to know: 1. Will they have the funds to exchange and complete same day; 2. Why haven't you been able to exchange in advance with time in between; and 3. Who is your contact between now and Friday?

It's all very well for a solicitor to brush things off as completely normal, nothing to worry about yadda yadda, but it's shit in terms of service and shows no empathy.

Beeswax2017 Tue 24-Jan-17 19:12:55

Beeswax2017 Tue 24-Jan-17 19:14:25

DelphiniumBlue Tue 24-Jan-17 19:19:34

Yes, speak to the senior partner.
They should at least be able to confirm whether the indemnity has been received.
But I'm wondering about the indemnity - when I was lawyering ( some years ago now) you could arrange an indemnity with immediate effect, by phone, or online. So where is the indemnity coming from? What's it for?
The thing is, you could get to Friday morning, and exchange/completion still might not happen, and so you don't actually know if you will be moving or not. And is there a chain? Are your buyers/sellers prepared to go along with this?

DelphiniumBlue Tue 24-Jan-17 19:22:17

Just to add, I used to work part-time, and there was never a problem with getting someone else in the firm to do the exchange when I wasn't there, if that was what the client wanted, and assuming everything was in order.

wowfudge Tue 24-Jan-17 19:28:19

The indemnity can be in the contract so you could have exchanged without it. This is all because she isn't going to be in the office before Friday.

wowfudge Tue 24-Jan-17 19:29:52

I thought the funds had to be there at exchange to ensure completion could go ahead as you are committed once you've exchanged.

TreeTop7 Tue 24-Jan-17 22:01:19

I think that you should insist on speaking to the senior partner tomorrow morning. It sounds as if Friday could be chaotic otherwise.

Beeswax2017 Wed 25-Jan-17 06:02:24

Toottootcar Wed 25-Jan-17 06:46:37

Nothing to add legally but hand holding as I'm also waiting for a sale to be confirmed on Friday which is going wrong flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now