Talk

Advanced search

Rental Worries

(5 Posts)
RenterHelp Tue 24-Jan-17 14:54:15

I'm currently living with my parents, but hoping to move out soon and rent my own place. I've heard from people I need to be concerned about:

Losing my deposit
That someone else will have access to my home
Having security of a long term contract - one is only 6 months!
That my kids can’t be kids, as they may cause damage, but they're not trying to!
Budgeting and the cost of renting, as it sounds expensive
Not knowing my rights as a tenant - I know people that have had problems
Lack of control over what I can do to the home. I've heard stories that I can't hang pictures up!

Do I need to be worried about any of these? Has anyone had problems?
Really appreciate your help, thanks!

DrinkFeckArseGirls Tue 24-Jan-17 14:56:07

If you're worried about not knowing your rughts as a tenant, find out about your rights as a tenant confused

WonderWine Tue 24-Jan-17 15:12:47

Yes - read around before you enter into any agreements. Look for information like this: www.gocompare.com/tenants-insurance/guide-to-being-a-tenant

It's like everything else in life - there are good landlords/tenants and bad landlords/tenants. I rent out a property and have lovely, responsible tenants who look after my property. In return, I hope I am a helpful, fair landlord, who acts quickly when there are any issues.

1) Deposits should be put into a tenancy deposit protection scheme. You should only lose your deposit if part of it is withheld at the end of the tenancy to pay for damage you have done to the property.
2) Your landlord does have access to your (their?) house, but only for very specific reasons (e.g. emergencies) and with prior notification.
3) Don't sign a 6 month contract if you don't want one!
4) You are responsible for damage to the property and for your kids. Whether they intend to cause damage or not is irrelevant!
5) Yes, renting or buying a home can be expensive, so work out what your budget is and stick to it.
6) What DrinkFeckArseGirls said...
7) Yes, many tenancy agreements have restrictions about things which may damage the property or make it less attractive to future tenants. These usually include decorating, putting nails/picture hooks in plaster/ screwing anything to walls without prior permission/ keeping pets etc. Again, check your tenancy agreement.

My tenancy agreement says all of the above, but because my tenants are sensible people they have asked me about things and I've given them permission to put up shelves/ mirrors and to keep a pet as I now trust them.

You definitely need to do some more reading and planning first!

specialsubject Tue 24-Jan-17 15:50:14

start by reading the 'how to rent' booklet on gov.uk which tells you all your England/Wales rights and obligations.

the landlord has to give that to you when you move it - spot the legislation cockup! Fortunately it is available online.

BTW you will struggle to find an initial tenancy with a committment of less than 6 months, again due to the legislation. You don't HAVE to have a written tenancy but as a landlord, my insurance insists on it to start - so if a landlord lets you move straight in without one, ask some questions.

specialsubject Tue 24-Jan-17 15:51:36

sorry - I see you want a longer contract. Again, due to legislation and insurance most landlords would want an initial break at 6 months, but there is no reason not to have a longer fixed term after that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now