Talk

Advanced search

Mains powered smoke alarm beeping

(10 Posts)
Madmog Tue 24-Jan-17 10:06:27

One of my smoke alarms has started beeping either in the night or when the heating is on. Could it be a back up battery going or something else. Also, how do I get the cover off, just pull or twist.

I have two other mains powered smoke alarms and they are fine.

Testificateman Tue 24-Jan-17 10:14:11

If it is beeping every minute with just 1 beep then your battery is low.
To remove, normally has clips and you pull it off. They take the rectangle batteries x 1.
You'll need something to stand on.

Madmog Tue 24-Jan-17 10:25:15

Yes, it is 1 beep every minute or so (I know the smoke alarm is a high piercing continuous sound!). Will see if I can get the cover off just to check on battery size.

bigredboat Tue 24-Jan-17 13:56:58

Check the fuse for the smoke alarm, mine had tripped and I hadn't noticed hence why the battery went flat (and the one I replace it with before I checked!)

FinnMcCool Tue 24-Jan-17 13:59:08

Yes, the backup battery needs replaced.
Getting the cover off can be a bit of a faff. On mine, you have to push a tab in with a screwdriver then slide it sideways.
I'd recommend googling the make of the alarm before you get up the ladder.

GreenREM Tue 24-Jan-17 14:20:22

Ours did this and we hoovered it out and it stopped!

PigletJohn Tue 24-Jan-17 15:20:18

Mains powered ones often have a long-life, non-replaceable battery, and have to be changed for a new detector at end of life. Life somewhere between five and ten years.

You may be able to tell once you get to grips with it.

PigletJohn Tue 24-Jan-17 15:25:08

...for example

www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KDKF1R.html

VeritysWatchTower Wed 25-Jan-17 21:25:44

Ours beeped, replaced the battery, still beeped so we needed to swap it out. It was about 12 years old.

We bought an emergency battery one so we were not without a smoke alarm upstairs until the new one was delivered (online order to match existing one.)

Ours is a twist off one. Hope you managed to get it sorted.

dementedpixie Wed 25-Jan-17 21:28:38

Ours has a replaceable battery. Needs a removal tool or flathead screwdriver to get the cover off. Our whole unit needs replacing every 10 years too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now