Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Front doors and internally glazed doors or Crittall?

(7 Posts)
DarkBlueEyes Sun 22-Jan-17 15:57:22

I need a new front door and found one I really loved online, made by a local company.

www.spstimberwindows.co.uk/doors/front-doors-single-doors/front-door-gallery/

Front door 74 (but lots of lovely ones on there).

I've had a quote. £3995 EXCL vat!

I've also had a quote for two sets of internal french doors, nothing fancy, three or four panels - £5k excl vat.

Holy hell! Is this nuts or am I naive?

I've asked a Crittall company for quotes for the internal doors, but they are going to be o£££ aren't they?

If you have any recommendations for a nice front door for a 1934 arts and crafts house which has glass in it (entrance is darker than Donald Trump's secrets) and for where to get internal doors I'd be so grateful. Obv looking for something a bit more purse friendly.

wowfudge Sun 22-Jan-17 16:24:48

I can't tell which front door you mean OP, but have you looked at Rock Door composite doors! We had one with a glazed panel at the top in our last, 1930s, house. The glazing was obscured glass with leading to match the lights at the top of the original windows.

PigletJohn Sun 22-Jan-17 18:37:23

There are people who have more money than they know what to so with.

Your door company helps them spend it.

DarkBlueEyes Sun 22-Jan-17 20:11:05

I am not one of those people! I need a front door at a sensible price. Will
Check out all
Alternatives. Thank you.

PigletJohn Sun 22-Jan-17 22:48:12

I am very fond of solid hardwood doors, but they are mostly veneered or engineered now, which I suppose is better for the rainforests.

If your door is protected from rain, even just by an open porch, then a painted softwood door can last well, and was probably used in the original build. A life of a hundred years is not unusual in a porch.

It's important to have doors and frames professionally fitted. If you're going for wood, ask around for a well-recommended local carpenter or joiner. He will also know where to buy doors. You don't need a boutique supplier, they go through the timber and joinery trade. It should cost a few hundred.

I recently had a door made to measure by a local joiner, he said it took him about a day. They learn how to do it, but seldom get the chance in day-to-day work.

If buying a wooden door, insist on Mortice and Tenon construction. Dowelled is not as good.

DarkBlueEyes Mon 23-Jan-17 13:00:20

For anyone considering Crittal I have the quote in. £15k 😂🙄. Errr that will be a no. Thank you Pigletjohn. Now looking at composite doors on eBay

shovetheholly Mon 23-Jan-17 15:14:12

I have an oak door and I get lots of compliments on it. I got the door itself from Door Deals for a few hundred and then got a local workshop to fix me a frame (with a window) which a local joiner fitted, bunging the door in. The total cost including labour was way, way less than you've been quoted and it looks great if I do say so myself! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now