Talk

Advanced search

moving to langley, slough

(13 Posts)
smashitaway Fri 20-Jan-17 20:55:47

Hi everyone

I would love a bit of advice here from the collective minds!

I live up north in Manchester and we are relocating to the Slough area in April. I would love any opinions on the surrounding areas to live, we've 2 kids one 3y old and another 6m old.

The new job will be in Langley, Slough and would not want to commute more than 15-20 minutes each way.

Thanks all

1618ZTZT Sat 11-Feb-17 20:04:44

Bump

I am also considering slough so it would be interesting to see what people have to say about slough

Snap8TheCat Sat 11-Feb-17 20:07:16

Hmm slough, not great things to at about it to be honest. Not sure what your budget is but have a look at Datchet, Eton, Eton Wick, Windsor, Burnham, Old Windsor and Wraysbury. All places I would live and recommend.

OCSockOrphanage Sat 11-Feb-17 20:10:28

Friends had a lovely house 2 minutes off the M4. It wasn't quiet and they didn't have any DC, but it was convenient. Huntercombe?

AnythingConsidered Sat 11-Feb-17 20:20:28

As pp has mentioned, I would avoid Slough. It's been a while since we lived there but family are still there!

Depending on your lifestyle & budget areas to consider are Iver, Windsor, Burnham, Horton, Wraysbury, Datchet, Maidenhead, Eton Wick, Eton, Cookham, White Waltham, Farnham Royal, Stoke Poges.

If you are able I would recommend renting for 6-9 months so you caneed get a feel for the areas!

justdontevenfuckingstart Sat 11-Feb-17 20:22:40

The only good thing about Sluff is seeing it in your rear view mirror. And anyone from BedsBucks&Herts will have heard that!

YippieKayakOtherBuckets Sat 11-Feb-17 20:46:56

We need to know your budget. I would also advise against living in Slough itself. There are loads of good options but many are £££££.

Lilaclily Sat 11-Feb-17 20:49:11

Langley is lovely, if you can afford to live there I would

1618ZTZT Sun 12-Feb-17 12:26:35

Our budget is £470k looking for an area with good schools, activities for toddlers and family friendly nothing too rural and easy to commute to London and Watford. We have a DS who is 2 and a 6 month old DD

We don't mind a semi detached house preferably not a terrace. Thank you for your recommendations users I really appreciate it, if you have any other recommendations or comments to add please don't hesitate to share them with me.

MikeUniformMike Sun 12-Feb-17 21:51:48

Iver and Iver Heath, Fulmer, Wexham, Farnham Common, Farnham Royal, Stoke Poges are all fairly close to Langley. Langley is quite nice IMO. If you want to live in a nice area, look at villages in Bucks. Datchet is nice - pretty riverside village but under the flightpath. Gerrards Cross and Beaconsfield may be out of your budget. Windsor is great.
Slough is quite urban.

MikeUniformMike Sun 12-Feb-17 21:53:58

themummystylist.com/page/2/?sa=X&ved=0CCAQ9QEwBGoVChMIhrD1w470xgIVCYosCh0x3wtz

mrsmortis Mon 13-Feb-17 10:56:42

If you are looking at buying in Slough or Langley , check the plans for Heathrow expansion. Make sure you are aware of what the impact is going to be, not just in terms of building work but in changes to flight paths too.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/qa-heathrow-expansion--everything-you-need-to-know/

(Is a telegraph better than a daily fail one?) I know that nothing is certain yet. But it'll be a big change.

tangleweed Tue 14-Feb-17 11:58:49

I don't like Slough town centre though some housing areas are nice, traffic is awful, and it's terrible for walking anywhere. Langley & Iver are nicer, Uxbridge has nice parts, and there are some lovely towns and villages around Berks and Bucks if you prefer more rural/smaller towns. Although your kids are young I'd also look at the primary schools in any areas you are thinking of & if you are likely to be there a few years, be aware that Slough and Bucks both have the 11+ and grammar school system.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: