Talk

Advanced search

Would it be a mistake to put a plain glass window in a bathroom?

(36 Posts)
HiDBandSIL Fri 20-Jan-17 16:58:08

I currently have an obscure glazed window but the bathroom has one of the best views in the house and I have wanted to change it to a plain glass window for years. I'm looking to actually do it now. Would it be a mistake? I've never had a bathroom window that didn't have obscure glazing.

Batteriesallgone Fri 20-Jan-17 17:00:32

What are you planning to do about the people-looking-in-when-you-are-naked issue?

HiDBandSIL Fri 20-Jan-17 17:00:48

I forgot to say that it is an urban location but lots of distance and trees between the window and anyone else's 1st floor window.

Floggingmolly Fri 20-Jan-17 17:01:14

If you can see out, everyone else can see in... How long do you spend standing in your bathroom gazing out the window??
A bathroom needs adequate light, not a view.

HiDBandSIL Fri 20-Jan-17 17:01:49

Close the blind? grin

Bobochic Fri 20-Jan-17 17:01:59

Providing no one can peep, this is fine.

mintthins Fri 20-Jan-17 17:03:17

How about plain glass but some of the obscuring film up to about eye height? Best of both worlds...and no accidentally frightened neighbours.

Chippednailvarnishing Fri 20-Jan-17 17:04:04

We have exactly the same, so we have clear glass and a "bottom up blind". We can still see the view but no one can see anything interesting.

Figure17a Fri 20-Jan-17 17:04:20

Of youre going to have the blinds closed all the time, what's the point?

I stayed in a holiday cottage where just the lower part of the window was obscured so you could still lay in the bath and look at the moutains

HiDBandSIL Fri 20-Jan-17 17:04:28

flogging - at the moment, no time at all because you can't see anything! To be fair, I don't spend much time gazing out of any window. It's just nice to be able to see out.

fitflopqueen Fri 20-Jan-17 17:04:30

We have clear glass - rural, if you are not directly overlooked then why not?. and your bathroom will be brighter too

HiDBandSIL Fri 20-Jan-17 17:07:12

Oh that's a good idea, I'd not thought of a half and half option and didn't know about bottom up blinds.

The situation is currently made worse by the fact that it's a big window but only a little bit at the top opens, so you have to stand on the bath and stick your head out to see anything grin

HiDBandSIL Fri 20-Jan-17 17:08:12

That's what I thought fitflop and as it backs onto a landing with no window the extra light would be really appreciated.

HiDBandSIL Fri 20-Jan-17 17:09:39

figure - I'm imagining it would only get closed when privacy was needed which would only really be bath time because the loo is sort of hidden from view.

RudyMentary Fri 20-Jan-17 17:10:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dodgydonkeysdoodah Fri 20-Jan-17 17:13:02

I have thought about doing this, at least for the top part of the sash. No view but I do like to be able to see the sky and clouds. Nearest facing windows are about 100ft away.The bottom half has a little curtain across anyway which goes to about my eye height. Like a net, but more a printed muslin - thick enough that it can't be seen through.

HiDBandSIL Fri 20-Jan-17 17:15:57

I'm googling bottom up blinds. Absolutely brilliant. I can stand naked in front of the window waving at the neighbour's. Thank you chipped!!

mirokarikovo Fri 20-Jan-17 17:16:13

Will guests and visitors use this bathroom, or only you?

If only you, then go for it.
A house I stay in twice a year has clear glass in the bathroom. Whilst it's not very easily overlooked - the neighbour would have to stand in the outward curve of a bay window then look in the right direction away from the lovely view - I find it desperately uncomfortable to feel so exposed when using it.

Chippednailvarnishing Fri 20-Jan-17 17:52:40

Glad you like them! Had them in both bathrooms for the last few years with clear glass windows and no regrets.

jojosapphire Fri 20-Jan-17 18:05:30

We have chosen clear glass in a couple of velux windows for our en-suite (when it finally gets built!) but these will be high up (slope in ceiling starts at 1500mm) so wont be over looked.

SilenceOfThePrams Fri 20-Jan-17 18:22:03

One way mirror glass?

RTKangaMummy Fri 20-Jan-17 18:28:35

You can get glass that are clear one way but obscure the other

Also, you can get Windows that have a gas in that you have as clear then click a switch that changes to cloudy saw it on grand designs but think very expensive

We have bottom up blinds in our motorhome and is excellent for lying in bed watching clouds and birds etc so that might be cheapest option

smilesmilesmilesmile

kel12345 Fri 20-Jan-17 18:32:09

I'd never have plain glass in a bathroom window

nemno Fri 20-Jan-17 20:37:19

I have changed ours to clear. There is a blind for anyone who feels exposed, even though nobody can look in. It's a loo with a great view .

RudyMentary Fri 20-Jan-17 20:44:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now