Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

First time seller tips?

(8 Posts)
hellotoyellow Fri 20-Jan-17 08:44:50

Our house goes on the market today. We live in SE London and are aiming to move to East London. This is the first time I've sold and I feel like there's a rule book for this that I haven't read!

We are starting our own viewings tomorrow and I understand we can't make an offer until we have an offer ourselves, is that right?

Last time it all seemed pretty simple - we had very clear, tight budgets; this time due to equity everything's a bit more fluid. We will be aiming to max ourselves out for a forever home.

Anything you wish you'd done, or any tips or experiences to share?

Testificateman Fri 20-Jan-17 15:28:33

Yes. You need an offer on yours before making an offer.
Make sure it's de-cluttered and any little jobs done. Seal around bath and sinks, a bit of touch up here and there?
Good luck.
Oh, and don't max out too much, keep a little in reserve.

flownthecoopkiwi Fri 20-Jan-17 15:35:14

ooh link please!

You can make offers before being sold, but no one will take it seriously until you are actually in a position to buy.

My advice - declutter like mad. Use car as short term storage device during viewings.

keep a spreadsheet of costs and mortgage rates and possible deposits based on sale price so you know what is 'stretching' yourself and what is crippling yourself.

Don't fall in love with a house too soon, to easy to break your heart if things go wrong!!

torthecatlady Fri 20-Jan-17 15:39:35

Good luck selling smile

harrietm87 Fri 20-Jan-17 19:50:49

Just to say I'm in the exact same position! We put ours on the market yesterday. In east London and hoping to move further east for more space. First viewings are tomorrow - keep the tips coming!

JT05 Sat 21-Jan-17 06:04:53

Keep a set of new towels and duvet cover for putting out for viewings. Clear away products from the bathroom. Tidy away tea towels, chopping boards and dish sponges from kitchen.
Loo seats, on spotless loos, down.

Spottyladybird Sat 21-Jan-17 06:12:21

Make sure it looks like you don't struggle for storage so put everything away and if you can't find a space then hide it.

Make up the beds with clean, ironed bedding.

Bright, clean towels in the bathroom. Toilet seat down.

All doors around the house open to let light flow.

JT05 Sat 21-Jan-17 06:12:57

On the selling bit , remember nothing is sold until exchange. Both sellers and buyers can lie, in the most unbelievable ways! Trust no one until you have their money!
As a seller don't get too friendly with your buyer. It's a bit like playing poker, keep your financial position between you and your solicitor, as much as possible.
Some buyers try to drop their offer at the last moment, some sellers try to hike up the price. Be prepared and have nerves of steel!
Having said this most transactions go well with no hitches. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now