Talk

Advanced search

Need some reassurance

(4 Posts)
newhomeworries Thu 19-Jan-17 15:19:53

I've just bought a new flat and I'm worried I hate it!

The flat itself is lovely with lots of period features and good sized rooms, but it faces on to a railway and I just can't get used to the noise. We're FTBs in London so have got a big mortgage and paid a hefty amount of stamp duty, but now I can't help thinking that no one will ever want to buy it from us and we'll be stuck forever.

Didn't think it would be an issue as when we visited (on a few different days) the noise wasn't that noticeable, and I've rented flats near the tracks before and been fine with it. Now I can't stop noticing the trains and thinking we've made a terrible mistake. Does anyone have any experience of how to sound proof a period property? There is already double glazing and the windows don't seem draughty. We don't have a lot of stuff in at the moment and the curtains are rubbish so maybe that will make a difference? Any ideas would be great!

Testificateman Thu 19-Jan-17 15:23:32

Don't worry, it's London. It will always sell.

pegomassive1 Thu 19-Jan-17 15:26:43

You do get used to the noise if it helps

I have a main road at the front and a railway to the side and over time it just melts into the background

Do get blackout/lined curtains.

dodgydonkeysdoodah Thu 19-Jan-17 16:56:52

You WILL get used it it. You're only noticing it at the moment because it's all new and you're feeling very stressed about it. Get some thick curtains to muffle noise from the window - and installing other soft furnishings will definitely help to absorb some of the noise too - rugs / carpets / sofas / cushions etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now