Talk

Advanced search

Mold painting

(9 Posts)
StrongTeaHotShower Thu 19-Jan-17 12:30:30

Sorry, I know it should be in homes and property but I need quick answers. Can anyone tell me what they've used to paint over inside walls?
A quick Google search and I was a bit overwhelmed with all the different sorts 
My house is damp proofed now but horrible black Mold stains remain.
Many thanks

user1484830599 Thu 19-Jan-17 13:02:40

I recommend Zinsser coverstain, available from screwfix. It isn't cheap, but is very good stuff. It stinks, so make sure there is plenty of ventilation.

PigletJohn Thu 19-Jan-17 22:36:35

you have to clean it off first. Bleach, and readymade sprays, will kill it. It comes of easier when dead and dry.

Have you cured the source of water that led to the mould growing? What was the cause?

It's no use repainting if the house is still damp.

Thistly Fri 20-Jan-17 11:31:25

Piglet, have scrubbed with bleach and sprays, but stuff still not dying... How to remove from ceiling? (condensation problem, and leave window open ALL the time. ) (sorry for hijacking)

PigletJohn Fri 20-Jan-17 12:07:12

Where is the water coming from?

Do you have wet washing in the house? Are you sure there are no roof or plumbing leaks?

In a bathroom, an extractor fan is better at sucking the steam out, than a window.

Thistly Sat 21-Jan-17 12:25:30

Ah, is extractor fan really better?
It is broken. No wet washing, and damp towels dry in bedrooms. Bathroom is only room with condensation problem, as in an offshoot so 4/6 sides outside walls. Will fix extractor fan.
Thanks

loinnir Sat 21-Jan-17 16:14:38

The outside walls will make the room cold so the warm air is condensing a lot on it - need to ventilate and keep it warm (not humid) Open windows a lot. Fit Extractor fan. Use a dehumidifier(with windows shut) to dry out the room. Bleach the mould spores let walls dry then repaint using an anti mould paint for bathrooms or buy an anti mould additive to put in your paint. Always use the extractor during and after showers/baths

specialsubject Sat 21-Jan-17 19:41:56

Damp towels are wet washing! If you don't have an airing cupboard, dry in a ventilated room.

Thistly Sun 29-Jan-17 20:49:49

Thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now