Talk

Advanced search

Stripping black beams ... how? Tools? Magic wand??

(6 Posts)
ProjectGainsborough Wed 18-Jan-17 19:48:03

Oh god, I've started on this project and now I wish I hadn't. Surely there must be something that makes it easier? Am using a non toxic stripper, wire wool and a scraper. I did buy a wire wool attachment for the drill, but it's too powerful and it just skids around.

Please tell me there's a special thing I can buy to make it easier??

wowfudge Wed 18-Jan-17 19:56:05

Have you got a drill which you can also use as an electric screwdriver? They usually have variable speeds, which makes them more suited to the kind of thing you are trying to do.

The other thing I have heard of is getting the beams sandblasted.

Liara Wed 18-Jan-17 20:25:30

Heat gun? What is it that you are stripping back, paint or stain or something else?

ProjectGainsborough Wed 18-Jan-17 22:18:33

I don't think it's a stain, because it will come off, eventually. More of a thick black gloss. The beams are really old, so god knows when it's from.

I did look at sandblasting, but it's expensive and there's no money in the budget for it. There might be for a less powerful drill though!

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Wed 18-Jan-17 22:31:45

Another heat gun.

schloss Wed 18-Jan-17 22:41:49

Contact Strippers of Sudbury, they will help! Previous house had oak beams covered in goodness knows what (paint, stain etc) and struggled to remove any of it. Also thought of sandblasting but conservation office (listed property) not happy! He actually suggested we contact Strippers!

This was about 10 years ago but I am hoping they still exist!

S.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now