Advanced search

Listed Building Insurance

(18 Posts)
cherrytree63 Wed 18-Jan-17 18:17:09

So I'm hoping to exchange contracts on my house purchase within the next couple of days.
It's a Grade 2 listed cottage, and I'm looking for any recommendations for insurance companies (and any to avoid)!

cherrytree63 Wed 18-Jan-17 18:17:52

....weeks not days!

Bluntness100 Wed 18-Jan-17 18:22:09

Ours is through our mortgage provider the nat west. You do need to speak to them and go through a questionnaire, I don't think many just do it on line if the building is listed, and they need a lot of info, like the rebuild costs etc if I remember correctly. It's fine, but it was an extra step past the normal anyone will insure it.

cherrytree63 Wed 18-Jan-17 18:43:15

Thanks, I'm a cash purchaser but I may ask my previous mortgage provider who I had insurance with (Santander), I hadn't thought of that.
How would I find out the cost of rebuilding?

daffodilssoon Thu 19-Jan-17 07:23:29

NFU we're good for our listed house.

cherrytree63 Thu 19-Jan-17 09:09:46

Thanks Daffodil

GU24Mum Thu 19-Jan-17 09:34:47

For the rebuildng cost, this should be in the survey report. Another option is to ask the sellers which company they insure with and look at using the same one. Hope exchange goes smoothly!

cherrytree63 Thu 19-Jan-17 18:41:05

Thanks. My offer was accepted 12 weeks ago, considering I'm a cash buyer and the house is empty I thought I'd be in ages ago, and suddenly it's all systems go!

Madbengalmum Thu 19-Jan-17 18:44:24

You have to give the rebuild cost for ANY type of building insurance.
Insurance for grade two listing is not at all difficult to obtain, nor particularly different from normal house insurance, you will be able to get it from all of the main insurers.

Sunnyshores Fri 20-Jan-17 09:38:02

You should have got a rebuild value when you did a survey (assuming you did as a cash buyer).

We used Lark Insurance who had a specialist Listed Buildings policy. If we did ever have a problem that required building works I didnt want the hassle of trying to negotiate with the Councils heritage officer and an 'ordinary' insurance company.

chopchopchop Fri 20-Jan-17 09:39:37

Grade II isn't too much hassle. Ours is with the co-op, but arranged through a comparison site. Some insurers won't quote, but it still wasn't too bad

Cedilla Fri 20-Jan-17 09:46:21

If you want to cut the hassle of doing it yourself it's worth going through a decent broker - we do, and they're great. Our house isn't listed, by some bizarre quirk as it's about 400 years old and we live in a historic area (I think they just missed it the day they were going round the village doing the listings grin), but we wanted good insurance.

cherrytree63 Fri 20-Jan-17 16:27:21

Does using a broker add much to the premiums?

Madbengalmum Fri 20-Jan-17 16:29:52

No using a broker allows them to search all companies and they can also advise on who is good to use in the event of a claim.

Madbengalmum Fri 20-Jan-17 16:33:44

No should be cost effective.

Cedilla Fri 20-Jan-17 17:42:32

We didn't find it more expensive OP. We've changed a few times year to year as our broker has found better deals for us and it saves having to do all the tedious research ourselves.

cherrytree63 Fri 20-Jan-17 18:10:17

Thanks for all your help smile

OnTheMove28 Fri 20-Jan-17 21:26:33

We also use Lark Insurance. Have found them to be very good with specialist listed building policy. Very efficient when we had to make a claim. No complaints.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: