Talk

Advanced search

Overpriced house?

(12 Posts)
Beaniebeemer Wed 18-Jan-17 13:48:55

I've seen a house I quite like. The main pull being that it's literally a two minute walk from DD's school. It's been on the market for about 3 months now. The problem is that it is overpriced by about £20-£30k. It's on for £280k but it's not worth more than £250k-£260k. They had it on originally for £295k. Should I even bother looking at it?

AcademicInHiding Wed 18-Jan-17 13:54:31

Is three months a long time in your area? Where I am, houses get snapped up within days.

If it is a long time, the owners might be open to offers to try and get rid. Or they might be stubborn buggers who are holding out for their price.

It's definitely worth viewing but be honest with the LA when you go and see it. Tell them you think it's over-priced and get an idea of how open the seller is to offer.s

Pictures?

Doje Wed 18-Jan-17 13:54:42

Definitely. If you like it, put in an offer of £250k and say that's all you're willing to pay for it. They might have some wiggle room when it comes to price - I think most sellers do.

Blossomdeary Wed 18-Jan-17 13:55:51

Make an offer - nothing to lose!

Thetruthfairy Wed 18-Jan-17 13:58:20

I would go look at it (maybe in a few weeks time) and then if I liked it i would offer £255,000
If they refuse I would leave my offer on the table for 3 months hoping they see sense.

flownthecoopkiwi Wed 18-Jan-17 13:59:00

there are always sellers with no grasp on reality. A property we know has been on the market coming up two years because it's simply not worth the money they insist on asking for it.

Put a sensible offer in but be willing to accept not all people are realistic or sensible

namechangedtoday15 Wed 18-Jan-17 14:11:37

Going against the grain - its may be overpriced, particularly to you but you don't know if someone else would be willing to pay the price at some point - maybe to go on the waiting list for the school, maybe to be so close they're pretty much guaranteed a place, it ticks all their boxes etc. All you can do is view it, decide what you think it is worth and make the offer. If its not accepted, leave it on the table to see if the seller eventually changes their view of value or is perhaps sees something they want to buy and is willing to take a lower offer.

Beaniebeemer Wed 18-Jan-17 14:15:40

Thank you for your opinions. I think if it had been priced realistically it would have sold. Houses in this area at that price are usually pretty sought after. I love the idea of doing the school run in two minutes!! It being as close to the school as it is could be seen as a negative by some people. It's a big infants/juniors with c. 600 kids so the road at drop off and pick up is v v busy. It's a 1950s semi on a small estate of similar houses. They have it on with a local agent and purple bricks. It originally went on with purple bricks the bought the other local agent in about 6-8 weeks later - makes me think they are hoping to sell it at sky high money for a cheap fee but in bringing the local agent in also that they were serious about selling.

Beaniebeemer Wed 18-Jan-17 14:18:54

It's not a hard school to get into given the fact that it's a three form entry. I live 0.9 of a mile away from it currently as the crow flies. I just want an easy school run life given I'm going to be doing it for the next 8 years shock

wowfudge Wed 18-Jan-17 14:19:52

Every house I've ever seen that's on with Purple Bricks is overpriced. I have seen one sold board with them. I suspect the vendors think they are being canny, but are perhaps now realising their mistake. Go and view it via the agents.

PippaFawcett Wed 18-Jan-17 15:37:47

A house is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. Go and see it and put in an offer if you like it.

Artisana Sat 21-Jan-17 14:36:36

I have seen a property that the vendor is trying to sell for 25pc more than they paid for it in Feb last year. New build flat. On the market for 2 months now. Doubt if there's any point offering what it's actually worth as the vendor's pricing strategy suggests to me that they won't be reasonable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now