Talk

Advanced search

Could turned off radiator cause others to be cooler?

(9 Posts)
beanfilledfish Tue 17-Jan-17 20:41:43

Have noticed our bathroom radiator is red hot at the bottom but cooler at the top, bedroom similar but not as bad. One radiator in the other bedroom is completely turned off, (both valves turned off) could this cause the sluggishness? The boiler is one year old (Bosch) and downstairs all red hot!

Was googling and it's confusing, which valve should I have turned off to turn radiator off ? Both? both are turned off.

PithyWoman Tue 17-Jan-17 20:43:00

I don't know, but maybe they need bleeding?

reallyanotherone Tue 17-Jan-17 20:45:10

Yep, there's air in the top of the rad that needs letting out.

Use your radiator key until water bubbles out.

Whatdoiknow31 Wed 18-Jan-17 08:21:14

Definitely air in the rads.

Turn off your heating and let ithe air settle for 15-30mins - otherwise the pump will be pushing the water and any other air round the system making venting rads less effective.

Vent rads and don't forget to repressurise the boiler if you have a combination or system boiler.

Testificateman Wed 18-Jan-17 10:26:22

As others have said, they need bleeding. Do not do this whilst your radiators are on or hot.
Easier to use a bleed key but, you can also use a screwdriver.

beanfilledfish Wed 18-Jan-17 20:51:32

thank, well repressurising the boiler was strangely traumatic and involved a call to the local plumber. all seems okay now.

Note: bleeding radiators ISN'T straightforward people <faints>

llangennith Wed 18-Jan-17 20:54:45

Spot on whatdoiknow31.
I didn't know you had to turn off the CH for a while etc. Thankssmile

llangennith Wed 18-Jan-17 20:58:58

Bleeding radiators is easy, honestlysmileIt's useful to know how to repressurise your boiler. You're an expert now!

beanfilledfish Wed 18-Jan-17 21:07:43

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now