Talk

Advanced search

Applying for a council property

(9 Posts)
BLACKTUESDAY1 Tue 17-Jan-17 20:31:24

We currently have a property which is mortgaged but with some equity. We are in a mess financially with a fair amount of debt. Would we be eligible to apply for a council property therefore selling our current home and clearing our debts? Our credit rating is shot so would struggle to privately rent and don't have enough equity to buy outright. We work so would pay the full rent on the property and we don't live in an area with a shortage of properties. Thanks

HirplesWithHaggis Tue 17-Jan-17 21:04:32

You can apply, but may have to wait a while. Speak to your local council/housing associations and see what they say.

roseteapot101 Tue 17-Jan-17 21:17:46

the waiting list is long i knew someone once that was still waiting at 10 years and others also waiting years

BLACKTUESDAY1 Tue 17-Jan-17 21:22:03

I think i will have a chat with them. I didn't want to waste anyone's time if we are not eligible. I realise we certainly wouldn't be high priority but I do know people get housed quickly in our area. It's nothing like the South East with regards to the shortage of properties. I suppose they can only say no!

Alfieisnoisy Tue 17-Jan-17 21:22:11

Once you have sold then you can apply the same as anyone else. If you are looking n an area where housing is not short then I would say go for it.
They are unlikely to accept you until the property is sold though.

GlitterGlue Tue 17-Jan-17 21:23:58

You can, but may not even be eligible unless the existing property doesn't meet your needs.

nell15 Tue 17-Jan-17 22:25:30

Have a chat with housing. Get the money advice service or CAB to put a word in for you with housing. There are points systems and priority factors. But you won't know what your chances are til you ask. Have you tried housing associations, they're rent can occasionally be less than council.

BLACKTUESDAY1 Wed 18-Jan-17 07:51:17

Where we live the housing associations/council are all under one umbrella so once accepted you can bid on either. Thanks for all the advice. Woukd we def have to sell first? That worries me a bit!

Alfieisnoisy Wed 18-Jan-17 15:31:25

Hello OP, in my area (the very crowded south east) you would definitely have to sell first. However, if you are in an area where housing is more plentiful the rules may be very different. It would be worth asking the question when you contact them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: