Talk

Advanced search

Is 'slummy hovel' the look you were going for, cause you're in luck

(25 Posts)
NotAMammy Mon 16-Jan-17 22:36:53

I've found the perfect tile for you: www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod47015/parkway-decor-tile.html

What the actual fuck? Have they sold any of these? Does it actually look decent in real life? I don't understand why you would pay money for this?

FetchezLaVache Mon 16-Jan-17 22:39:05

I quite like it blush

Mind you, I am a complete scumbag.

Oliversmumsarmy Mon 16-Jan-17 22:41:12

Does look like old public toilets.

I think if you use those tiles you have to be careful or it could cone out looking dreadful

Krap Mon 16-Jan-17 22:41:14

Ah, if you woke up from a heavy night of toilet hugging you may wonder if you actually made it home or fell asleep in the underpass. Joyous.

SealSong Mon 16-Jan-17 22:42:03

Haha, the description with those tiles is priceless....'the aesthetic of peeling paint....uptown New York'
Just scatter a few used syringes around the room and the look is complete.

NotAMammy Mon 16-Jan-17 22:42:55

I realise that I sound like a complete twat. Maybe it looks better in real life and I normally like the studio look (for other people) This just seems like a step too far. Why would you want the peely paint look?

I think it's the fact that you are paying for a new product to intentionally look old and knackered that makes me a bit angry rather than silently thinking 'nope' and clicking past it. I prefer to buy something old and knackered and bring it back to life.

AutoFillContact65 Mon 16-Jan-17 22:46:00

😂 re the syringes

Palomb Mon 16-Jan-17 22:48:16

Looks like a set from Luther.

wowfudge Mon 16-Jan-17 22:59:47

At least you don't take yourself too seriously OP. All we need now is reproduction Manchester Arndale Centre tiles c.1995. They were a gorgeous shade of mustardy brown.

In fact, sod that: bring back stone cladding!

BadToTheBone Mon 16-Jan-17 23:02:31

I love the warehouse look and that's kind of appealing to me. I wouldn't actually do it though.

charlestrenet Mon 16-Jan-17 23:04:59

Mornington Crescent!

NotAMammy Mon 16-Jan-17 23:22:12

Unfortunately I never had the experience of the Arndale Centre pre-naughties. I imagine that they are a similar kind of tile that you see gracing the toilets and hallways of the more "authentic" kind of pub? The kind where you get a workout with your pint from pulling your feet off the sticky carpet and the 'ladies' is a random room in the back which they have to have, even though the entire clientele is made up of three locals and a copy of the daily sport?

There was actually a pub near us once where the back entrance went through the ladies loo. Not just through the corridor, but it was actually just one room with a door at the front and a door at the back. I imagine if they had to change kegs they would just barge in past you mid-flow... Not actually the worst bar I've been in.

ophiotaurus Mon 16-Jan-17 23:22:50

Trainspotting chic

OutToGetYou Mon 16-Jan-17 23:28:18

Jamie Oliver restaurant loos look a bit like that.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Mon 16-Jan-17 23:33:22

I think they would look lovely in my house. On the wall with the urinal one it wink

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 16-Jan-17 23:36:04

I really like it!

HeadFullofSteam Mon 16-Jan-17 23:36:45

Ha, I love them!

shovetheholly Tue 17-Jan-17 08:19:33

There are loads of tiles like this at the moment. Check out these ones:

www.tonsoftiles.co.uk/aged-chateau-wall-tiles.html

I have to admit, I find something slightly odd in the fact that many of them are incredibly expensive. It's the equivalent of fake "distressed" furniture in the early 1990s, isn't it? I'm sure that I read an article somewhere that the stuff that is fashionably 'post-industrial' (think Brewdog pub aesthetic) is actually far more expensive to do per square metre than something slick.

vjg13 Tue 17-Jan-17 08:34:08

I quite like it too, not in your average house but a more funky loft style flat.

NotAMammy Tue 17-Jan-17 19:27:16

Oooh shove I love that they combine the look of a decrepit cottage with a general air of damp and a shit tiler.
I actually think in the right setting it could look really nice, but it just reminds me of old houses that have fallen to ruin.

There's a community furniture place outside Newcastle that had massive classroom blackboards in the last time we were there and often has the old reclaimed stuff. I bet anything it would work out far cheaper and way more authentic. I may or may not be still trying to work out where I could put a blackboard bigger than most of the walls in my house.

thisonehasalittlecar Tue 17-Jan-17 19:35:17

I need these for behind the loo! DH and DS would soon have them spattered with wee for that authentic 3 am in an underpass vibe.

Oliversmumsarmy Wed 18-Jan-17 00:37:11

Does anyone think they are trying to capitalise on the fact Trainspotting 2 is coming out

Goosegettingfat Wed 18-Jan-17 09:52:43

They are yuk!!

MrsPringles Wed 18-Jan-17 09:57:57

I really like those blushI'm not slummy either, promise!

whataboutbob Wed 18-Jan-17 13:55:30

it's naff because it's pretending to be something it isn't. If you happen to have real, aged and weathered metro tiles, that can look good (see Porchester spa in London for an example). If you are recreating it brand new it's just silly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: