Talk

Advanced search

Hiring a man without a van??

(5 Posts)
Littlelockets Mon 16-Jan-17 21:58:26

I'm moving several 100 miles. Don't have any big furniture but have boxes and boxes of kitchen stuff, books, clothes, etc and a couple of book cases!! Moving from a ground floor flat where I can load a van myself to a second floor flat with no lift and can't park near entrance so unloading would be exhausting. i need a vehicle to do other stuff so getting a self- hire van is sensible, but 1) don't know anyone in local area who could help me unload, 2) need to move mid-week so anyone who could help me is at work.

Has anyone ever hired just the man but no van and if so what do i google for?

wowfudge Mon 16-Jan-17 22:06:00

How are you going to get the man back to where you started from? Or are you planning on dropping the van back where you hired it from rather than doing a one way hire?

Have you had any removals quotes? Might be worth looking into it.

mysteryfairy Mon 16-Jan-17 22:10:14

I'd still look for man with a van type operations. I've used a local two man band to move various things including pianos and I'm pretty sure they would come and carry stuff about for their hourly rate and just park the van outside! They are formidably strong though - no way they would put up with carrying a bookcase with a weakling like me on the other end.

witchmountain Mon 16-Jan-17 22:19:15

Try googling for handyman services, that usually brings up people prepared to help with a range of things. But do check removal services too because they will come and move stuff for you. I think that's how I found someone to come and move some really heavy furniture for me (just from one room to another - massive cupboards!).

thisismyfirsttime Mon 16-Jan-17 22:19:39

Assuming you don't own a car look for a man with a van with a spare seat for you to travel with them, if you do hire a man with a van to leave at the same time with delicates in your car and bigger boxes in theirs to meet and unload at the new place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now