Talk

Advanced search

Pvc panels in bathrooms - anyone got this?

(28 Posts)
NapQueen Mon 16-Jan-17 13:01:16

We have a small bathroom which is about to get redone, and we are stripping right back as there is damp.

I'd like to cover the walls (and ceiling?) With pvc panels, as I think it'll be relatively straightforward and easy to keep clean etc.

Anyone had their bathroom done with this stuff, and if so, how did you find it (was it simple to have installed etc)?

I've no idea what sort of cost I'm going to be looking at either!

specialsubject Mon 16-Jan-17 14:09:45

Yes, in a rental (I am a bastard landlord) . just the walls but it has worked very well and withstood a serious lack of housework. No mould ( no grout). Still looks new 3 years on. Cleaning is only a damp cloth, and if none at all is done the panels still look good.

Be aware that they will be damaged by flame, so no bath candles. They are easy to put up and can go over old tiles if they are secure.

I want the same where I live!

GrouchyKiwi Mon 16-Jan-17 14:16:16

They are so, so much cleaner and easier than tiles. We renovated the bathroom in our flat and used these. Bought our house a year later and I miss the panels so much. Tile grouting is my nemesis. We'll be replacing tiles with panels when the bathrooms need redoing here.

NapQueen Mon 16-Jan-17 14:19:38

I'm tempted to just shove them up over the tiles but feel.obliged to sort out the damp as we want to sell the place as soon as the bathrooms done.

BitchinBlack Mon 16-Jan-17 16:04:31

Specialsubject I hate to butt in but I'd like more info on the panelling being fitted over existing tiles. There is no damp it's just that the tiles are terribly old fashioned and the expense and mess of kangoing them off is too much. Thanks in advance smile

girlandboy Mon 16-Jan-17 16:12:23

Splash panels!! We've just put some up in our old cottage.
They are fabulous! So easy to keep clean, I tend to just squeegee it down where the shower has splashed it. Other than that, just a wipe down.

We had some strong adhesive and stuck them to painted walls. There's a special channel thing that sticks to the edge of the bath and then the panel slots onto it. I think the hardest part was cutting them to shape around vents on the wall etc, but that was because we ended up cutting them on the dining room table (nowhere else to do it!!)

specialsubject Mon 16-Jan-17 16:50:50

It is a while back, but the glue and sealant supplied was OK for putting over the tiles. We had the same - 1970s tiles, very firmly fixed on a sound wall but with holes were things had been fitted to them and looked awful.

They are a bit fragile until fitted - we found a pack where there was a hole right through from delivery, we hadn't noticed. Fortunately it was in a bit we needed to cut off anyway.

The op will of course need to fix the damp first.

clairethewitch70 Mon 16-Jan-17 16:53:34

My DM has them in our granny annex - they are easy to clean but look crap and very clinical.

specialsubject Mon 16-Jan-17 17:29:25

oh well, each to their own... there is a huge choice of colours and patterns. Feedback from ours was always 'wow! What a smart bathroom'.

BitchinBlack Mon 16-Jan-17 17:59:59

Thanks Specialsubject smile

Tessticklesyourfancy Mon 16-Jan-17 22:13:15

Thinking of getting PVC on the ensuite ceiling, recommend by the fitter. I'm going to have a look at them tomorrow

glasshouse Mon 16-Jan-17 22:44:22

These sound exactly what I need to put in my bathroom, any particular makes or stockists recommended?

PlasticPanels123 Tue 17-Jan-17 14:23:46

We've got these in our en-suite and as soon as we can afford it will be doing the bathroom with them too. Ours are floor to ceiling in the shower and also each wall and then we have plain white panels on the ceiling itself, so basically never have to paint again!
So much easier to keep clean, no horrible grout, and also they are warmer than tiles so we never get the condensation from hot water + cold tiles (the ones we have are insulated, they're not completely flat, don't know if they are all like this?)
Ours have a horizontal banded pattern so unless you touch them you don't realise they aren't actually tiles, they look just the same.

Coughingchildren5 Wed 18-Jan-17 08:20:20

I am planning to put these in our bathroom and. Ensuite. I am however a bit confused by where is best to get them from. Any tips from those of you who have already installed panels?

PlasticPanels123 Wed 18-Jan-17 09:35:03

We live in the arse end of nowhere but got a local company to do the whole en-suite, everything ripped out and started from scratch.

The panels they used are by Swish Marbrex and they come in wide vertical strips which are cut to size. There is a seam between strips but no actual gap so it's not like one huge panel covering a whole wall, also means if one bit ever got damaged it would only mean buying a replacement strip.

Ours is similar to this

TheTeaFairy Thu 19-Jan-17 06:31:29

We have these in our shower. Plain white, no grouting so they don't show the dirt and rarely need cleaning. They're about six years old and look as good as new. smile

TopKittyKat Thu 19-Jan-17 06:45:22

Hi All,

Another one who is intrigued by the panels. Would any of you that have them and love them be willing to post photos?

fluttershyby Thu 19-Jan-17 07:33:11

This is a pic of the panels we put up recently. Done the whole bathroom with shower panels plus ceiling pvc panels. It's a small room (2.20 x2.20) and it makes it look so much bigger. Took a weekend to do and we did it ourselves. Total cost around £550 probably more than tiles would be but far less time consuming putting them up.

NicknameUsed Thu 19-Jan-17 07:39:34

MIL has them and they look awful - cheap and nasty. They were very expensive to buy but not professionally fitted. The panels are about 2 ft wide and have metal joint strips between them.

ChocChocPorridge Thu 19-Jan-17 07:43:08

Yes, we got a fancy patterned one (looks like 3d tiles from a distance, although obviously up close it doesn't). I think it's great - I got all the gubbins to do the coving and the skirting board in the right stuff - it went up fast and easy (no metal strips with mine, they but up with a virtually invisible join).

I did the ceiling too, and it's SO much better than the alternatives! So much so that I put it in my kitchen too, and if I have to re-do the living room, I'll probably use it again. The matt stuff, not gloss obviously! Because compared to a plaster ceiling it just looks so much better, and it's washable if you need to.

Tessticklesyourfancy Thu 19-Jan-17 18:55:17

Mmm. Having seen them in the showroom now I'm not so sure. They looked quite plastic and shiny. Not sure I'd want them on the ceiling. Ah well back to the drawing board

Gatekeeper Thu 19-Jan-17 19:02:26

I've got them in the bathroom round the shower. I really don't like them. They look plasticy and cheap even though they weren't. The special edging strip they fit into round the bath is shite & gets mould growing in it and the corner strips ditto unless I scrub them very carefully.

Would NOT buy it again

mm81 Thu 19-Jan-17 19:22:03

I sell these - they are sometimes called cladding sheets or panels.
We are a flooring wholesaler based in Kent and cover SE and we stock these and our range is called Simplyclad. There are many different ranges out there and product is. Wry popular with hospitals, schools, industrial kitchens...We have been doing cladding for over 3 years and it's going really well for us.
We sell to flooring contractors, maintenance companies, retailers... we also offer a days course in fitting the product, it's very Hands on.. Our range comes in white and pastel colours and can get them in various other colours too...
They are 2,5 mm thick and we stock two sizes;
2.5 x 1,22 wide x 2,5 m long
2.5 x 1,22 wide x 3 m long in white and pastels.
We also do accessories to match- joint/end trims, corners, glue and mastic.
They are suitable to go on any surface providing the sub wall is sound etc.
They can be thermoformed so can go around pipes, boxes etc without having to cut it and If you don't want to use trims you can use a sealant- mastic to finish off.
I would recommend a professional installer to fit them as they will also offer you fitting guarantee.
If you are interested let me know and I can put you in touch with a contractor depending on where you're based.

TeamRick Thu 19-Jan-17 21:12:29

Here are mine before the shower screen went in!
I love them, easy to clean, don't show water marks, not cold like like tiles!

AnarchyKitty Thu 19-Jan-17 22:35:19

We have these black glittery ones with a white ceiling and magic LED lights.
TBF they were already in the house when we moved in. They will be replaced eventually although I am secretly fond of them now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now