Advanced search

Cooker extractor help

(26 Posts)
wowfudge Mon 16-Jan-17 07:28:01

We have settled on a design for our new kitchen and are going to get a 110cm range cooker with induction hob. The issue is that there is limited clearance above for an extractor. This means in order to comply with regs we need one where the motor is hidden in a bridging unit style cupboard - a telescopic one would be ideal, but integrated would also be fine: we can't have a hood or canopy style one.

The problem is that I can't find anything the right size for the hob - they are all 60cm or 90cm it seems.

There is an existing Siemens telescopic hood, which is 60cm so I have wondered about having 2 60cm ones side by side but don't know if you can feed both into the same ducting or they would need to be separately ducted? Can anyone advise?

shovetheholly Mon 16-Jan-17 08:20:15

I think Elica do a 120cm integrated one, in the Hidden range.

wowfudge Mon 16-Jan-17 11:49:50

Thank you holly - you are correct; just had a look. It's rather expensive though!

FlaviaAlbia Mon 16-Jan-17 11:56:47

No help to you suggesting extractors but is there any way the design can be altered? We have a similar problem with clearance and it was such a pain when the extractor fan we picked had its motor go and we had to start looking for another one. So much so I'd rather have a different kitchen design than the current one.

wowfudge Mon 16-Jan-17 12:04:10

Hi Flavia it's an awkward shape to work with and the cooker in this position gives by far the best layout. It just means we can't have a hood or canopy. We already have a 60cm telescopic hood above the current hob and I am short anyway, so it's a case of finding the right extractor at the right price. I was thinking of perhaps re-using the current one and adding another?

NotMeNoNo Mon 16-Jan-17 12:12:38

Why not get an 80-90cm one placed centrally in the bridging unit? You don't necessarily see the width of the extractor from the front.

Similar to this or this in fact there are several Elica options by the look of it.

wowfudge Mon 16-Jan-17 13:24:47

I'll have a look - I thought an extractor had to be as wide as the hob to be properly effective though?

NotMeNoNo Mon 16-Jan-17 14:30:19

I'm sure the wafting steam can be sucked sideways a few centimetres by a decent fan. The only rules are the fan capacity which all extractors meet.

Of course it's tidier if the widths match, and you need to keep the cupboard line high right across - detailing the cupboards to look tidy will be more of a challenge. Are you having flat or shaker style doors?

Given how many 110cm ranges there are about, it's a bit of a gap in the extractor market.

NotMeNoNo Mon 16-Jan-17 14:31:41

..More to the point, nobody does a 110cm wide wall cupboard, or even a 55cm one!

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 16-Jan-17 19:22:21

I'd usually design a pair of 60cm ones over an 1100 range or a big feature hood - occasionally I've just put in a ceiling extractor ( even if on a wall -not island ) if client doesn't want wall units as that gives a clean clear space behind the cooker ! Hope that helps !

wowfudge Mon 16-Jan-17 19:40:29

OnePlan - thank you, that's really helpful. Would two 60cm extractors side by side be vented completely separately or can than be vented to the same ducting?

wowfudge Mon 16-Jan-17 19:47:35

They be vented, not than be vented - bloody phone!

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 16-Jan-17 20:49:15

Lol - most can be linked into one vent pipe - there's a few types of venting about - round - flat rectangle etc - if you Google the instructions of the one you fancy they should give you more info

FrogFairy Tue 17-Jan-17 01:03:03

Luxair make lots of style of extractors in various widths, including 110cm.

Have you considered the sloping angled extractors? If you have space for a cupboard you should have space for one of these. Also the chimney style ones can have the pipe trimmed down.

Perhaps if you could describe the restrictions you have, someone can offer a solution. You know we love a diagram on Mumsnet, no cars involved here but a cooker will suffice!

wowfudge Tue 17-Jan-17 07:16:01

Ha ha FrogFairy - I know the word 'diagram' has magic powers! The extractor has to be vented through a wall which is at 90 degrees to it, not directly behind it, so in order to conceal the ducting, we need bridging units - there isn't the space for normal wall units. Thank you for the Luxair tip. I'll get looking.

wowfudge Wed 18-Jan-17 19:50:37

Thanks for the suggestions in answer to my query. I am now wondering whether to scrap having an extractor above the cooker and just have a kitchen extractor fan in the wall beside the range. This is mainly because the cooker is going to one side of a large alcove, so not central, which means bridging units above are going to be tricky to place to accommodate an extractor above the hob and will largely be used to conceal ducting, which seems daft. The wall I am think of putting an extractor fan on is close to the hob.

FrogFairy Wed 18-Jan-17 21:43:01

I think a wall fan won't be as good as a cooker hood but better than nothing. What is above the kitchen? Just wondering about a ceiling extractor.
Pigletjohn is your man for advice on this.

didireallysaythat Wed 18-Jan-17 21:48:38

How about one of those extractors that are flush with the hob ? You're having a range so could out one either side ?

wowfudge Wed 18-Jan-17 22:05:45

It's complicated frog but a ceiling fan won't work. The ducting would have to go along the wall at the back of cooker to vent through the wall at the side. Do you mean a downdraught extractor didi? They are really expensive and only recirculate, unless you connect them to an external motor.

PigletJohn Wed 18-Jan-17 22:26:37

see how this one is fitted inside a dummy "flyover" cabinet on the wall, aligned with the tops of the wall cabinet

I'm pretty sure you can have two to give you the extra width.

If there is a bit of a downward lip on the front of the enclosure, it will catch steam and hot air so it gets sucked into the extractor.

There are quite a few canopy-type extraction devices, but if you want to browse them, email Elica and ask them to send you their glossy catalogue. Their website is absolutely awful, riddled with webdesigner frippery.

Prices to suit all pockets.

be sure to have it high enough that you can't bang it with your head.

FrogFairy Wed 18-Jan-17 22:32:57

Ok, just read through all of your posts and think I understand.

Due to restricted height above your hob, you want your cooker hood as thin as possible and vented sideways at ninety degrees along the wall rather than straight out of the wall behind the cooker. As far as I know you can put ninty degree bends on the hood and run the ducting along the wall with most hoods.

The hood will need to be a minimum height above the hob so it would be a case of trying to find a hood that fits in the remaining space between that height and your ceiling. Including the ducting.

How much space have you got to squeeze a hood in? The ducting will take up to six inches depending on the size required for your hood.

PigletJohn Wed 18-Jan-17 22:44:37

if running on top of the cabs, you can use rectangular ducting which is flat and not so tall

Equivalent to 125mm round

Equivalent to 150mm round

There is an adaptor or elbow to fit it to the extractor.

NotMeNoNo Wed 18-Jan-17 22:49:17

I think wall fans are an under-appreciated and much cheaper alternative, especially if they are reasonably close to the range. It might not be as good as a full width catering standard extractor but it will be a lot better than nothing and also a lot cheaper and less visually intrusive. Have you got a low ceiling?

wowfudge Wed 18-Jan-17 23:43:46

I'll try to clarify, but frog pretty much summed things up. The ceiling slopes down and is low over the alcove where the cooker is going. There is just enough room to have sufficient gap between hob and extractor using bridging units above the cooker to house the motor of an extractor like those PJ has linked to, or a telescopic one. Flat ducting could go over the top as cornicing would conceal it.

But - due to the cooker being off centre in the alcove it's really tricky to find bridging units that will sensibly fit in the space and house an extractor.

Added to which venting outside is not straightforward as we need to ensure we don't impinge on our neighbour's property when core drilling through for the vent - it's an older house and there's a weird dog leg in the boundary.

Anyway, after spending ages looking at different extractors and puzzling over units I've been thinking we could put a kitchen extractor fan in our wall just round the side from the alcove, where there are no potential issues, which is vented out. I'm toying with the idea of a recirculating cooker hood above the hob in addition to a wall mounted extractor fan. That means spending money on a fancy grease trap in a cupboard dedicated to its motor, but might help with cooking smells and keeping muck off the low ceiling!

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 19-Jan-17 06:40:46

Sounds a good idea !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now