Talk

Advanced search

Putting an offer in!

(7 Posts)
MummyPigLovesAppleSauce Sun 15-Jan-17 20:43:36

FTB here!
Due to be putting an offer on a house tomorrow but a bit worried I will do it wrong!

Do I just ring the estate agent and say we want to offer or do I do it in writing?

We are offering around 10k under the asking price as it needs a bit of love but happy to negotiate a little bit. Should I stress out position as a FTB and point out why we aren't offering the full price (needs new kitchen and bathroom) or will the estate agent not pass this on to the vendor?

Excuse my daft questions! I'm so nervous I'll get it wrong!

MummyPigLovesAppleSauce Sun 15-Jan-17 21:21:45

Anyone?! confused

OutToGetYou Sun 15-Jan-17 21:26:27

Phone is fine. People expect lower offers, 5% is fairly accepted. Good to have a reason though they will say "we priced it with that in mind", you being a ftb isn't that relevant really.

wowfudge Sun 15-Jan-17 21:36:02

I think you should make your offer based on what other similar properties are priced at, not that it needs work. Better to say you have worked things out and you can afford to make an offer of £x. I disagree that being ftbs isn't relevant - it is because you are chain free. Even better if you can say you have a mortgage in principle - you can do that online with no commitment and without a hard credit check being carried out on you.

Testificateman Sun 15-Jan-17 21:51:18

Yes. You just phone the estate agent. They will probably reject your first offer but, when the agent phones you back, just ask nicely how much they are looking for.
If you can, try and offer a bit less than that.

Good luck 😉

MummyPigLovesAppleSauce Sun 15-Jan-17 22:13:00

Thank you! Fingers crossed we get it smile

OutToGetYou Sun 15-Jan-17 23:08:42

Yes, sorry, I only meant being a ftb isn't relevant to what you offer as such. It's relevant to your ability to move and their likelihood of choosing you.

As pp says, the offer is on market value really. Though what you can afford obviously comes into it, albeit you shouldn't look at places you can't afford smile

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now