Talk

Advanced search

New Flat Rental - what can I do DIY wise?

(24 Posts)
Porffor Sun 15-Jan-17 14:56:23

I never thought to ask the agent - will speak to them tomorrow.

I wondered what you're generally allowed to do in a rented flat? it's newly renovated so has a nice enough decor but wondered about feature wall or drilling to put up pics etc?

I'll be moving in without my husband (first time living alone) so gonna have to be good and learn how to drill - I can drill wood fine so it can't be that hard.. i know about pipes and wallplugs. lol

#girlpower

seven201 Sun 15-Jan-17 14:59:14

Doe it not say in your contract? It really depends on your landlord. I've only ever rented places where you had to give it back as you got it, so no painting or wallpaper. I have drilled holes but always filled them and painted over (only drilled in walls if the paint is white or some paint has been left).

Porffor Sun 15-Jan-17 15:01:34

Thanks - will ask - I'm at the applying stage but have been in council places for the last 20 years and before that private but I was young so never bothered with things on walls etc.

Dizzywizz Sun 15-Jan-17 15:03:34

Yup depends on what's in your tenancy agreement.

Drquin Sun 15-Jan-17 15:06:31

It will depend, but assume that if you papered or painted walls you'd have to return to the original state. Same with drill holes in the wall.

If you fancy a feature wall though, have a look for large-scale posters which are removeable. They stick well enough, but don't tend to leave marks when you remove them.

Porffor Sun 15-Jan-17 15:06:37

ahh ok - defo one to consider smile

OurBlanche Sun 15-Jan-17 15:07:49

I am an inventory clerk, you might have met one of me, or the agent may have done their own...

At Check Out I would note any holes, feature walls or other changes to the decor greater than Fair Wear and Tear, as 'Tenant Liability'. Unless you have specific, written permission to make any changes the landlord is entitled to get his property back in the same state as when you moved in, minus that Fair Wear and Tear.

So do check with the agent and be prepared to have to 'undecorate' when you move out smile

Porffor Sun 15-Jan-17 15:11:13

Fair point about undecorating smile I will have a chat with the agent but it's not a deal breaker only really shelves, mirrors in the bathroom etc would be ideal. There are some lovely floor standing types these days though so again can be worked around.

Gallavich Sun 15-Jan-17 15:14:17

In a private rental, pretty much nothing unless with express permission of landlord. Get it in writing so you don't have to paint back again in 6 months.

Porffor Sun 15-Jan-17 15:35:23

Thanks - so glad I asked now! smile

specialsubject Sun 15-Jan-17 17:18:40

boringly - talk to the landlord. There may be reasons not to put stuff up, such as stud walls or not enough room in some places. Alternatively the landlord may be quite happy for you to put up shelves, that would have been provided had the last tenant not stolen them...

standard tenancy agreements allow picture hooks, but if you go through a pipe or cable that will be down to you. You don't need a drill to put up a picture.

blu tak always wrecks decoration. There's no need, you don't have to live like a student.

Porffor Sun 15-Jan-17 18:42:24

haha we need a drill in the house we're in now.. I guess I'm forgetting. :p anything less doesn't cut it.

Yeah bluetack is a nightmare for paint bits missing..

Will check with the agent - thanks smile I was just thinking i'd look at free standing where possible.

cestlavielife Sun 15-Jan-17 19:30:32

if there is no mirror in the bathroom or you need a shelf put up ask the landlord - sometimes if you purchase the item they will come put it up.
if there is no mirror in bathroom you could list it as a needed extra. then negotiate. eg offer to pay half.

Porffor Sun 15-Jan-17 19:50:47

yeah it's a new renovation so no shelves or mirrors around at all. Not even in the bathroom. Also noticed no heater in the bathroom - it's electric heating in the flat so would run an oil filled radiator into there I think - don't like a cold bathroom. lol

cestlavielife Sun 15-Jan-17 20:35:02

Write a list of those issues
If us recent refurbished may have just been missed.
If they are things the landlord would expect in their own house then reasonable to ask ll to fit them.

cherryblossomcarpet Sun 15-Jan-17 21:09:10

Have you signed the contract? If not I'd suggest asking the landlord to fit mirrors and shelves as part of the deal. I'm a landlord. I'm always happy to provide things like this, or add/remove furniture for a good tenant. I would certainly prefer to be in control of any work done and would be unlikely to agree to a tenant doing DIY themselves.

Porffor Sun 15-Jan-17 21:09:48

Thanks, good idea - will do that smile I think I'll email the queries over if i can as I'm working tomorrow (driving) all day with a colleague so limited time.

seven201 Sun 15-Jan-17 22:52:11

Are you sure there's no heated towel rail or perhaps underfloor heating in the bathroom? Seems very odd to renovate but miss that!

Porffor Mon 16-Jan-17 20:21:17

Defo nothing - I spoke to the letting agent today and raised points of bathroom heating - they said they'll ask if landlord will put in a towel rail - I just explained no source of heat to dry towels etc as electric heaters.

Also asked about shelves / mirrors / curtain rails to confirm their standing.

Also about my children as they're not sure acceptable as there are 3 - we'll be a bit cramped but unlikely they'll all be there at the same time and it's first move while separating so trying to keep costs down. I have a back up plan of a house being done up by a landlord I know already in case this isn't a go-er.

Should hear back in a couple of days.

Dizzywizz Tue 17-Jan-17 06:18:52

Hopefully it will be ok. Did they not ask you about children, or did you not mention, before viewing? Just thinking would have saved time if it is a no.

specialsubject Tue 17-Jan-17 09:44:28

You do need to say how many kids you have! There are cases of landlords being done for overcrowding and a decent landlord wont want that.

Porffor Tue 17-Jan-17 17:06:35

I mentioned it at first phonecall - viewing was an hour later as she was in the area anyhow so it all happened same time. I had to confirm interest yesterday if i wanted to proceed and we left it that she'd ask the landlord at that point.

if the landlord says no then i'll have no choice but to get a bigger house.

specialsubject Fri 20-Jan-17 15:39:50

Ah - dopey the agent, not the landlord. Even my normally very good ones did a viewing for my property for a group that would have overcrowded it and whom I would never have rented to. Fortunately they decided it was too small. Two mins looking at the ad would have told them that, I don't keep extra bedrooms magically stashed away...

Porffor Sat 21-Jan-17 17:18:53

Ahh well it's all needless anyhow - they said no, and will work out ok. I've swapped things around - have handed my notice in and hubby is moving out - he's been throwing his toys out of the pram anyhow. I'll be home to look after the girls / school runs etc and will stay in our council house.

I'm going to try and find a job to fit in with school hours. Easier said than done I know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now