Advanced search

Moving consumer unit?

(6 Posts)
Frontstep Sat 14-Jan-17 16:03:03

Our consumer unit (two boards I think, if that makes sense) is in a ridiculous place under the stairs where you have to crawl on your tummy in the dark to flip the switch if it trips for any reason. Am looking into having it moved into the garage (meter will be staying under there.) Its about 3m or so distance I guess, but does involve going through a brick wall. Nice sparky came to look, and his company has quoted £768 inc vat to move it. Does that seem reasonable? It's more than I expected but I don't have much to compare to. I think the guy who came thought the boards themselves might be able to be reused, but I assume the quote is to replace them (only have quote via text at mo as I was pushing for it on a Saturday). We're in the north east.

Any experts out there able to advise?
TIA! flowers

Squidgems Sat 14-Jan-17 18:30:20

I'm not an expert but recently had consumer unit replaced and moved. It used to be in a base unit and like you I would have to be a contortionist to get to it in an emergency! It was moved to the wall above next to a wall cabinet and it cost me £450.

Squidgems Sat 14-Jan-17 18:34:38

Sorry. Should have made it clear that it was an electrician that did the job🙄

PigletJohn Sat 14-Jan-17 18:57:16

Might be a bit on the high side, can't tell. The older the installation is, the more work is to be expected.

The electrician will have to test and possibly rectify every circuit that he connects to the CU. Which means all of them. And may need to update the earthing or bonding. It is difficult to calculate the price accurately without knowing what has to be rectified.

The cost of a new, modern CU (which will be steel, because it is considered to be non-flammable under a recent change) will not be as great as the cost of labour. The new tails to the meter will probably be long enough that they will require a switchfuse at the meter end (so you can turn them off if you put a nail through them).

The work has to be done by a person who is a member of a Competent Person Scheme such as NICEIC (it may be shown on their business card or van) . Ask them which scheme they are in and you can look it up. Otherwise you will have to go through Building Control and pay their fee.

Frontstep Sat 14-Jan-17 19:18:50

Thanks very much, both. Hmmmm. Think I may get another quote ...

togetherlikeglue Sat 14-Jan-17 21:28:45

Definitely get more quotes but it won't be a cheap job. We wanted ours moved a few inches to the right (to allow us to shift an internal wall), and the first quote was over £600. It didn't include testing all the circuits. Another quote was about £450.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: