Talk

Advanced search

Roundhouse kitchens? Other options? Worth paying more for a kitchen that will last?

(11 Posts)
WhatIfWhatIf Fri 13-Jan-17 21:42:32

Anyone know anything about Roundhouse? They look beautiful but I assume they're enormously expensive?

We're looking for a kitchen that we're hoping will last a long time. Not sure if it's worth paying more for something higher end or whether we could get something from Wickes that would do just as good a job. Or Howdens. Or something else?

Any thoughts/experience/help/ideas/suggestions...?

RedHelenB Sat 14-Jan-17 10:39:14

Do you really want it to last though? I chose my solid wood kitchen when I bought our house new 20 years ago,. Because i chose it I still like it and as there is nothing wrong with it I haven't changed it. However, a lot of my neighbours have because fashions change.

BigGreenOlives Sat 14-Jan-17 10:41:50

It depends a bit on the value of your house, I think they start around £40K. If you have a house worth over £800K and are going to stay in the house for a long time then yes. If you have a house worth £120K which you might have to move from in 4 years then no.

bouncydog Sun 15-Jan-17 17:34:36

We've just had a solid maple kitchen from Prentice installed and are really pleased with it. The units are very solid and the doors are beautiful. Our last kitchen was from MFI about 20 years ago - the doors were still o.k. when we got rid of it - but the carcasses were not great and we are fairly careful with stuff. I personally wouldn't spend a fortune on a glossy type kitchen because I believe that they date - but its down to budget and personal choice in the end.

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 15-Jan-17 18:22:50

It's worth spending a good amount of time working through the layout design with a designer /supplier /or freelance concept planner to get that just right for you first ... as IMO that's one of the most important parts of buying a new kitchen. It's hot yo not just look good - but has to make you day easier and suit your lifestyle etc.
If your layout works just as well with generic sized cabinetry - get lots of quotes and ask for people's recommendations of different suppliers locally and regionally - if your specific design works best with something more bespoke then stick with the bespoke suppliers !
Have fun !!

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 15-Jan-17 18:23:55

I hate auto correct !!
You knew what I meant I expect ! blush

WhatIfWhatIf Sun 15-Jan-17 22:00:23

Thanks so much for replies.

I understand what you're saying about fashions changing and things dating - hence keen to avoid the trendy high gloss look as agree this could look dated before too long. Hoping to go for something fairly simple/classic.

The house is our 'forever home', bought recently and in need of full renovation. It is worth enough to justify a decent kitchen but we have a lot of work to do and are keen to try to get a balance between not spending money unnecessarily and having something that looks good and is decent quality.

Our last kitchen was a year old when we moved into the house and by the time we moved out seven years later it did look pretty shabby (despite most of those years being pre children and looking after it well) so would like to avoid that happening.

We went for an initial look around yesterday and found that the Wickes/Magnet/Wren type places all seemed to have pretty much the same stuff whereas the one higher end German make we looked at did look and feel much better quality.

Planning to talk through design ideas with a few different places and see where we go from there... It just feels like such a big important thing to get right - am finding it more stressful than expected!

5amisnotmorning Tue 17-Jan-17 07:31:11

We evenly had a devol kitchen fitted which is great quality. We already had a design and didn't need bespoke size cabinetry. If we did I probably would have gone for Higham - I think you will get an amazing quality kitchen for much less than a Roundhouse.

minipie Tue 17-Jan-17 11:25:19

I was told by an interior designer (high end London) recently that Roundhouse kitchens haven't worn well in her experience. However that's purely hearsay!

They have a sale on at the moment...

Ramona75 Thu 19-Jan-17 12:44:46

When thinking about a new kitchen just remember that the units are made from MFC and the doors are either MDF or OAK (Germans do use MFC doors). Always get some samples first and compare them. There is no point spending £1,000 extra for a popular branded name when you can get exactly the same thing for half the price elsewhere.

Just pay attention to door thickness, hinges & fittings and door edging, if it has any (anything but Ikea edging that falls off when you breathe on it!)

Hope this helps!

fizzandbubbles Wed 01-Mar-17 17:07:17

As it's your forever home I would say it's worth investing in something of really good quality. We've recently moved (hopefully for the last time!) so a good quality kitchen is on our radar too. I don't know anything about Roundhouse? Have you thought about a company called Davonport? My friend got a Davonport kitchen a few years ago and it's worn really well so we're definitely going there once we're in a better position to start kitchen planning. They make all the kitchens locally (Essex) too which is extra nice for us. If you do want to go high end then maybe it's worth a look?

Good luck with it all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now